Because Princeton has a "single-choice" application thing, I cannot simultaneously apply to Princeton and to MIT for early-decision. I can choose to apply to one or the other (MIT doesn't have the single-choice thing, but Princeton does) for Early Decision. Either way, I'm going to apply to both colleges. But as far as which one to do first, I don't know. Also, on the slight off-chance that I get accepted into both colleges (I don't know if I'll even be accepted into either of them but I do still stand a chance), which college do you think I should go to if I want to do Topology/Chaos Theory in math and Cosmology/QM in the sciences? This is *very* important for me.
MathematicallyMindedFractal MathematicallyMindedFractal 16-17, F 18 Answers Sep 2 in Doing Good

I know Princeton is important to you. But, I'd go for MIT. I would rather be in a college full of kids and adults who genuinely love learning and highly encourage experimentation and free-thinking. Princeton is a fantastic university... but too stuffy and politically-oriented for my taste. That's just my opinion... and you did ask. :) Either way, I wish you the best.

Best Answer

What do you mean by "politically oriented" and "stuffy?"

Best Answer

What I mean is, at Princeton, who you know is what is most important. It's a great school for people looking to become (or marry) a politician. The professors don't get as much free rein with their curricula either because of all the political affiliations that bias the board of directors. Which beings me to stuffy - that lack of creative spirit is kinda what I meant. Honestly, you should just follow your heart. You will always regret it if you don't.

Best Answer

MIT :D of course!

Best Answer

Everyone seems to be saying MIT without giving me a reason, but everyone that says Princeton gives me a reason. I'm still lost xD

Best Answer

If you'd like I can contact an old client of mine, Paul Seidel...???

Best Answer

How could he help?

Best Answer

Prof. of mathematics at MIT....

Best Answer

o.o It would very much help OwO you would do that for me? :o

Best Answer

Depends upon what you want to do. MIT will take you down the hardcore STEM path while Princeton is probably a better choice if you are looking to teach/research using Math.

Best Answer

I plan to teach/research math. I think I'll *apply* to MIT first, but my first choice will be Princeton if I manage to get into both.

Best Answer

If this is *very* important to you why do you ask us EP people with no clue on Topology/Chaos Thery and Cosmology/QM??

Best Answer

Be careful about early admission. If they get you to say yes, your money package is likely to be less than if you proceed on the normal time path. However, Princeton is known for being the most generous with non-load monies. Of course, if you don't need assistance, then by all means charge forward with the early stuff.

Best Answer

My family's loaded x'D I have 200k put away for college. Money won't be a problem. xD

Best Answer

Go for the school with the professors who will help you get what you are looking for. I realize that this can be a tough choice. There are also schools on the West Coast -- and even in fly-by country -- that would fill your need.

Given your means, maybe you should visit -- and I don't mean officially, as in with an escort -- the schools of interest. Hang out. Maybe you have friends who are already at those schools. I know people who LOVE MIT. My mom is one of them. I also have a friend who did his graduate EE (really CS) work at Princeton, and is quite happy with the results.

Do you like hanging out, talking about this stuff into the night? Maybe MIT is the place? Could be Princeton? Could be a Claremont college like Harvey Mudd? All excellent, but you won't have any real idea of which one will do the trick unless you visit. And you have the luxury of visiting.

Hope this helps.

Best Answer

It does. Luckily I have time to *decide* on the college. I just don't know which one to apply to first.

Best Answer

A fun situation to be in. So, have fun and good luck.

Best Answer

:U Thanks :D

Best Answer

MIT for sure.

Best Answer

Apply to both just in case, you never know. If both come back take a coin and do the "fractically minded mathematical" thing.....flip the coin in the air, call it, done. Seriously, life IS about "taking chances!" LOL ;D

Best Answer

I might have suggested doing an 'Istikhara' but I guess you don't believe in that stuff. So go with Princeton 1st.

Best Answer

MIT hands down

Best Answer

Princeton does that? Geez. That bites.

Best Answer

Make a pros and cons list for each.

Best Answer

Princeton

Best Answer

MIT

Best Answer