I've been working for 15 years with a very big company that is now owned by a holding company. I know a lot of people here and have positioned myself into an important position within their management structure. I'm fairly stable here. I do not enjoy the job because the company is rampant with bureaucracy and general corporate bullshit. I have tons of responsibility and travel a lot. The company that wants me is much smaller, but they've recently acquired big chunk of business from the company that I am with that I know a great deal about. It is privately owned. Most of them are good old country boys with no formality or structure like the bigger company. They pay much, much better. Also, my job would be easier and handling less responsibility. I will be in culture shock, because the way they spend money and lack organization looks nearly irresponsible from my current perspective. However, they insist that they have little overhead and are making plenty of money.
overman overman 31-35, M 11 Answers Nov 20, 2008

Smaller companies always get acquired by larger companies.How would you like to go to the other smaller company only to see you old company acquire it. I have seen this happen. Then you go from the hammer to being the nail. Once a merger occurs all the redundant positions are elimated. I've always been a gambler but I'd take a real hard look. The job market is getting tight out there and you do have 15 years senority where you are.

Best Answer

It's better to be a big fish in a small pond in my opinion.

Best Answer

I agree w/generika; ck things out, love the smaller companies - but I wonder if you can also carry business with you to the new company as well.<br />
My kid just did the same thing; stable position with a large corp - lots of bs and too much travel. he's moving 1100 miles and he keeps referring to it as a 'thrilling thriller'. <br />
good luck - let us know what you decide!

Best Answer

Get the financials on both sides - their quarterly and yearly reports as well as YOUR own financial situation. If it didn't work out at the the smaller company, would you be able to move on to a similar position easily and do you have savings to finance that possible delay?<br />
You may be the organizer they need. Get the facts and then go with your gut! Good luck!

Best Answer

From my own experiences, a smaller company with less political and bureaucratic red tape is better suited to my personality type. The large one I work for now is hell. If you are going to be important position that looks secure, perhaps you can change some the "irresponsibilities" you see. But as a previous poster said, you need to weigh the good with the bad. In this current economy I would go with more secure position.

Best Answer

It really depends on where you think you will fit in best. There are risks involved in working for a small company, but there are also risks involved in working for an overly bureaucratic one which is losing business to competitors.<br />
To me this looks almost a no brainer, but you know your situation best, so make your own decision.

Best Answer

"Remember that the grass is always greener on the other but just as hard to mow"- The John Butler Trio sang that and in life experience it seems to be true. But with taking a risk nothing can be gained nor lost. <br />
So ask yourself what is the worse that can happen? If one door closes another will always open.

Best Answer

If you think you'll be just as secure in the smaller company, I guess the only issue would be whether you have a non-comp agreement with your current job.

Best Answer

You may find that the different corporate culture at the new place will make you hate that job worse than the one you are at. Maybe they want you because you can bring them some organization and responsibility. Be careful whatever you do.

Best Answer

All I can say...The grass may look greener on the other side. Just be careful and do what you think is best. With the way the economy is, I'd want a secure job.

Best Answer