I have a family who doesn't support me. I happen to be well accomplished for my age and my life, in general is going where I want it to. I am happy in almost every aspect of my life except for my family, actually really just my parents (my sister is fine, if not a bit annoying). I work very long hours. I go to school at 7 in the morning and don't come home until 11 or 12 at night (such is the life in live theatre). Overall, I accomplish a lot and get home exhausted. On occasion, I forget to do my chores when I get home. My parents have always over-reacted and are unsympathetic. My mother is unemployed, but insists I have fewer responsibilities than she does. They treat me like I am a child, tell me I am lazy, and irresponsible. I know this isn't true. I just can't keep going on like this. In a few months, I am moving out. I am not sure whether trying to keep a relationship with my parents is worth it. What should I do?
GirlbehindtheBooks GirlbehindtheBooks 16-17, F 4 Answers Dec 10, 2013 in Family Struggles

Save yourself. Really. Good on you for recognizing your strength, and making a great start to your life, your family will always be there, but you got this chance to be independent of their stress on you.

Best Answer

You're more fortunate than I to actually be ready to be moving out in a few months...I would definitely establish a good distance between you and your parents if they treat you like this.

Best Answer

You sound like the kind of daughter parents should cherish. I'm sorry your parents don't support you as they should. Move out when you can & make your own life, but don't burn your bridges.

You will have 1000's of people pass through your life, but only one family. Love & respect them, and never give them up!

Best Answer

if they never supported you then yea , you should cut contact or at least i would : /

Best Answer