I am considering tomorrow calling my work and just saying, "I quit, I am not coming in today." Should I give 2 weeks notice or quit outright? I am worried that if I give 2 weeks notice then everyone will be a jerk to me the whole 2 weeks....right now I am leaning towards outright quitting...but then again, why not make a little more money? On the other hand, I don't think I can ever look at another coworker again without feeling nauseous. I am leaning toward outright quitting...should I?
SummerWind18 SummerWind18 26-30, F 23 Answers Aug 12, 2011

give 2 weeks notice, then float the last two weeks and use THEIR time to call around and inquire on new work, if you can arrange this. you can always leave before the 2 weeks is up, but give the notice, all the same. learn to ignore the grumps and blamers, they are the ones stuck there with no freedom to move on.

Best Answer

First I'll tell you about business. It's an industry standard to fire you without any advance notice. It's also industry standard to require 2 weeks notice from any employee who wishes to leave the company.

Is this fair? No! But that's because if they were to give us 2 weeks notice before being fired, some people would retaliate such as stealing, damaging property, and possibly going on a killing rampage. Telling your employer ahead of time that you're quitting isn't unsafe for you. They won't retaliate but they will post ads to find someone to fill your position in two weeks. This is their right and the reason why you are required to give notice in advance. The business wants to run smoothly and without interruptions.

Now to get to your question. To quit without 2 weeks notice is not only a violation of your contract with your employer, it is also immature to do so. It won't reflect well on your resume. Every job you take is a new paragraph in your resume. You don't want to make it look bad because it might prevent you from getting that dream job sometime in your future. Regardless of how much you hate the employees and employer, it is only right that you give your notice today and leave 2 weeks from now.

Best Answer

I have never worked for a company in which I am REQUIRED to give a two week notice. I live in an "at will" state, which means the company can fire me at any time, and I also can quit any time. If SummerWind is in an at will state too, she is not violating anything by quitting without notice. It IS still better for future job references to give a quit notice though.

Best Answer

When I quit my last job, I faced the same decision. I wanted to give 2 weeks notice because it seems to be the right thing to do, but I was afraid my boss would make those 2 weeks *HELL* for me. My boss was a very difficult person to work for --- he made mistakes himself but would always blame it on someone else. I'm not the kind of person to take the blame for something I didn't do, and he found that out pretty darn quickly. So you can probably guess we didn't get along too well lol. In the end, I gave a notice, and it actually went really well! It sounds like your job is a pretty bad situation itself too. I'm not saying yours will work out just like mine did, because your situation is still different. Still, I would recommend giving your two week notice. Do you plan on getting another job right away? If so, start looking now! It will look better that you're giving your two week notice. If you quit without notice, it will put your employer in a tight spot to find someone to fill your position, which will possibly put at least a little dent in your reference. And in giving your two week notice, if it does go bad, you can always remind yourself, "Just two more weeks!" and you can count down from there. Then celebrate after your final day. =)

Best Answer

As hard as it will be, I say you should give the 2 weeks notice, only because the extra money is always nice, and if you give the 2 weeks notice, you have more of a chance of getting a referral to your next job, whereas if you just outright quit, theres a big chance that you won't get a referral at all.

Best Answer

Slip, fall, and claim workers comp. Then when that runs out you can quit.

Best Answer

My dad always said: "Don't burn your bridges". I would give my 2-weeks notice as a courtesy. Yes, it's sometimes rough for those last two weeks. One place I worked, they tried to hire a replacement and they asked me to stay a while longer than two weeks until they could train someone to replace me.

In the current economy, if you don't already have something lined up, I'd not just quit and be out on the street. You can't collect unemployment if you just leave voluntarily.

Best Answer

Always give two weeks .. you need the reference. plus you could use the extra money.. people quit jobs all the time and I doubt they will be mean. You aren't commiting a crime, just don't want to work there anymore.. it won't be as bad as you think, plus you can hold your head up high if and when you run into co workers in the future, because you acted professional.

Best Answer

I read your waitressing experience. A place that has someone that disrespectful is inept and unprofessional. In my opinion, you should try to do the responsible thing and leave a two weeks notice. If things during those two weeks get any worse just leave but really if you've been able to stay strong until now, what's another two weeks? If you got that job, you can get a better job where people don't emotionally abuse you and get away with it.

Best Answer

Your not required to give notice. In fact some employers will not give references but will only provide your new employment with times you worked and pay history. If you need a personal reference get it now in writting and use that because when you quit with notice or not there may be bad feelings that you left.I suggest 2 weeks or more notice if you can showing yourself as a professional that does not wish to create issues for the company your leaving but if you have good reason to leave earlier its your right to do so. Explain your situation in writting and leave on the best terms possible.

Best Answer

I am glad someone posted and in some states it may be required but most states say "at will" which should be equal for both employer's and employees. I am actually facing this decision myself (strange how this post dates are not in order) just today I got official notice of starting orientation at a new job tomorrow; but my current job is likely to be up a creek as the main person who does the job I was hired for as well is on vacation for two weeks starting monday however they do have someone else working 4 days out of the next two so I'm guessing they are not as short handed as they may think. In addition, nothing has been good about this job from the start, poor training, and just overall bad vibe and I told the supervisor and the human resource manage that this position wasn't working and remided the supervisor once again recently after I was 1st given a somewhat compliment then next something said that I didn't do right to make me feel worse. This current job in many ways is emotionally draining, exhausting, and effects my health in every which way possible. I sleep all the time, don't eat. There is no way I can do both jobs and finish school and even if I didn't have this new job I don't see myself lasting even 5 days. So it would be okay to give a 2 week notice then after my 1st shift next week official quit? what if when I go talk to supervisor she is not there? I know the hr is not there as she's in a regional meeting til Sunday. I would rather not even go; I already left once with an "emergency" last week and really didn't want to go back the next day (but did and they had me do different stuff which I think the whole place was ruined for me from the beginning) it's like cause they didn't train enough people I am not allowed to be human.

Best Answer

When a worker is fired they are not given a two week notice. Unless you already have another job lined up and you do not need the money then enjoy the freeing power of walking in and saying I quit. It is truly an experience to savor. If you do not have another job lined up then it would be best to go to your supervisor and voice your concerns and handle things in a more professional manner. If you are valuable to them they may offer you more money to stay and address the issues you have with them. You could take their offer and still look for another job.

Best Answer

Fall and sprain your ankle, go in on crutches and say you came to give you two weeks notice but you don't know how much of it you will be able to do.

Best Answer

You, might need them them as a reference later on down the road so i would just give them two weeks notice even though they were kinda whatever the situation, you will be the bigger person though also a least you will be gone in two weeks though.If they treat you unfairly cause you decided you want leave they will have to live with their self. hope that helps

Best Answer

Even though it may be hard to get through the two weeks it is better to give the two weeks notice. Mainly because it will look better on future job applications that you gave notice. And you may want your boss to give you a reference at some point and you don't want him telling prospective employers that you are the kind of person to just up and quit with no notice at all.

Just do your best to ignore any coworkers who try and make your last two weeks miserable for you. You can keep telling yourself that it is only for two more weeks and surely you can endure for two more weeks.

Best Answer

my daughhter is in the exact same dilemma she cant face her bosses the workers are fine , she works in a bank and it pressured for sales then more etc she is off sick but does not get paid. i think she said she going back and if she has hassle she walking out. She is starting up in business of her own soon anyway. and also has job interviews lined up so dont know how it will turn out she usually is a woraholic.

first time for everything . hope you can decide and get a new job asap. nothing like bad time at work its depressing.

Best Answer

it depends on how supportive your bosses have been to you up to now, if well treated work out your notice o, if not gto now, however its easier to get a new job if your currently employed so maybe take that 2 weeks as a chance to do just that?

Best Answer

agree with Dave.

Best Answer

Grow up and give 2 weeks notice if you're an adult. If you are a teenager (as I suspect you to be) just quit. Everyone knows teens can be so flaky anyways.

Best Answer

You should be an adult and do the responsible thing. Give two weeks notice even though it will be hard.

Best Answer