I told my Mom and Dad about my abuse my step-brother did to me; I want my Dad to see a therapist, but tells me 'he's handling it' himself, talking to my Mom about it... but then he tells me, sobbing (which is really rare; Mewtwo-rare), how sorry he is about not knowing or doing anything about that abuse. I don't know if I should continue pushing for him to see a Therapist or just not care unless he's in a heavy depression. I just want him to live a better existence and have that off his back.
LysanderFremont LysanderFremont 26-30, M 4 Answers Feb 2, 2013 in Parenting & Family

Offer your forgiveness to him, first. He may feel guilty for not helping you, and forgiveness might ease some of that pain.

*

Can you do a joint therapy session with a psychiatrist or counselor, so that you both can be honest and supportive toward each other? If there's a trained, neutral third person, that individual can guide the conversation and help you both to understand how to proceed.

*

Encourage him once more, but don't push him too hard.

Best Answer

The thing is, I'm on one side of the country and he's on the opposite side We could do a Skype thing, but first, he has to be willing for that. I just want to know whether I should care whether or not he gets the help he needs.
He tells me, "You shouldn't have to worry about me. You have your Life to live, I'm old so I've handled this before"... stubborn old man.

Best Answer

Yes, you should definitely care. He's your father, and you seem to be a good son. :D

Best Answer

I just feel like even being good, I'm not strong enough or wise enough to get to his level, to have him understand the seriousness of this.I don't know if I'm asking for much, for him to seek help, to help himself for the better.

Best Answer

What kind of abuse did your brother cause you?... And how long ago was it, if it was when you were a kid and you are now in our thirties then it might be time to let bygones be bygones... Did he beat you up?

Best Answer

No. Not just beat up. More than that. Think about it.
Some things still affect and need to be brought to light. Only then can the Darkness go away for good.

Best Answer

If you are aware that your father is in depression, and that psychotherapy may help, you may offer your two cents. After all, you are in your late twenties, so feel free to speak to Dad, man to man.

Cheers,

AnonymousButCandid

Best Answer

That's what I'm doing. But now? It really hit home when he told me to not worry so much about him, I have my whole Life to live. Kind of like in my relationships, these folks make some messed up decisions, but it's by their own hands, I can't change them, even if it was for the better (Not change but offer good advice they could take).I do just have to let go. No matter what, I just have to let him go, them go. I can't let them hold me down.

Best Answer