I guess its the thrill-seeker in me but I'm really thinking about riding out Hurricane Sandy outdoors. I don't have a death wish or anything like that but I am extreme and am the adventurous type. I like to walk in areas where most would not venture because it is too unusual or dangerous. I am on the Northeast region of the U.S. and the storm is expected to touchdown in my area sometime late tonight or early Monday morning and last until Tuesday. It's a Category 1 storm which means that winds may be anywhere from 70 to 80 mph. Not too keen on getting killed or maimed but am really psyched about the experience. What do you guys think?
social02 social02 26-30, M 7 Answers Oct 28, 2012 in Health

Can we say hard core hurricane party?

Best Answer

Are you planning to do it too? :)

Best Answer

If I were there, I would be...nothing better than standing in the eye of the hurricane with Bailey's on the rocks...I did for several hurricanes when I lived in florida...and I knocked back a drinks during Tsunami evacs in Hawaii too...fun stuff.

Best Answer

Whoa, that's wild stuff. You really are hardcore. My hats off to you.

Best Answer

Thank you...enjoy the hurricane and take pictures...nothings better than looking back at good memories. Take care.

Best Answer

Yeah, that would be an interesting war story for the wife and kiddies one day. Maybe I'll even be able to get a "I Survived Hurricane Sandy" t-shirt. ;) Thanks for the comment. Would have been nice to have a partner. Too bad you're not on the East Coast. Though I'm still 50/50 about if I'm actually going to do this or not.

Best Answer

Ride it in the safety of my condo with my cozy fireplace on and the view of the Northcoast mountains. Yes, I feel your safety is important! However if it makes you happier ride it out outdoors because I know you love excitement.

Best Answer

That sounds like such a tempting offer and I want to thank you for personally extending it. It's really adorable of you to make such a proposal. However, if we did do that there would be no hurricane since you live on the west coast and there are no hurricanes on that side of the country. But maybe I'll ride out an earthquake with you some day ;) . Yes, I do love adventure and thrills but I ultimately decided not to ride out the hurricane and it was probably one of the best decisions of my life.

Best Answer

haha...yes, I know. Well you can ride out the earthquake with me here. I'm glad you stayed safe. :)

Best Answer

I once saw footage of a guy getting blown off his feet, then blown away by a big storm. <br />
As well, there's a big risk of getting hit by flying or falling debris.

Best Answer

Yes, there are all types of risks involved when you are riding out a hurricane outdoors. Seeing the destruction caused by Hurricane Sandy was very sobering. I strongly believe it was the right decision on my behalf not to challenge mother mature - at least on this occasion ;)

Best Answer

I'm a very outdoorsy person myself but there's a difference between being adventurous and downright stupid.

Best Answer

Noted.

Best Answer

whatever floats your boat (literally, it seems) is fine with me

Best Answer

LOL, indeed. I think a lot of things will be floating by the time this storm passes, including: boats, mailboxes, cars, buses, houses, etc.

Best Answer

50 to 80 mph winds expected, similar to Hurricane Gloria in the 80's. I watched horizontal debris propelled through the air like bullets...so I guess if you are feeling particularly stupid and want to put out your eyes, suffer potential brain damage from falling buildings, trees, flying vehicles, and so on...it's your hospital bill.

Best Answer

Well, you put it in that context it kinda takes some of the fun out of it.

Best Answer

HUGS!!! Don't hurt your silly a*ss self.

Best Answer

there's nothing fun about being propelled into the air like a giant rag doll. i hope u'll do the right thing. cuz i dont really want to read a sob story of how u lost ur legs because of a momentarily lapse of judgement.

Best Answer

LOL, thanks for the thoughtful comment. I sometimes let my adventurous and thrill-seeking side get the better of me. I decided not to go through with it and I think that was the best decision especially when the aftermath of this storm is considered. I have a new found healthy appreciation of hurricanes and the destruction they can do after seeing all the chaos Hurricane Sandy has caused.

Best Answer

You're very right and I think that you will be happy to know that I did not go through with my half-baked plan to ride out Hurricane Sandy outdoors. I appreciate your concern.

Best Answer