I have very important exams in June which will state whether I have got a place in college. I 've applied to college in a city hours away from my hometown. Its' a college which will give me great oppurtunities and it is has a great reputation. I hate my hometown, it has too many memories and I want to leave as soon as I can. I want to be in a new place with new people. The only problem I have is that I will be away for most of the week. I am being raised by a single mother, she suffers from severe depression and arthritis. I hate leaving her on her own cause I have to keep an eye on her just incase. My older siblings don't care, only about their own lives. I am the youngest,I am the only one who cares about her. My second preference of college is in my hometown, it's not great. I want to get away and have my own life. I love my mother so much and she worries me a lot. Should I accept into a college far away with great prospects or stay in my hometown just to keep an eye on my mother?
nadine17 nadine17 18-21, F 16 Answers Jan 9, 2013 in Community

You may feel more freedom away from home if that is important to you.

Best Answer

You seem to be trying to make this decision on your own with insufficient information. Talk to your siblings, your mother's doctor, a clergyman, social service agencies, a trusted friend, neighbors, your mother's friends, anyone with information. They are not as dumb as you think.<br />
Attending the better college should be your goal, but you will never succeed if home worries occupy your mind. A solution exists, good luck finding it!

Best Answer

I don't think your mother would want you to give up a great college opportunity in order for you to stay at home and care for her. Get out there and live your life! Good Luck!

Best Answer

That's very nice of you to worry about your mom that much, but you also have to live for yourself. Even though she would be sad to see you go as most moms are, she will also be happy that you can go out and experience a more exciting and successful part of your life.<br />
Best of luck!

Best Answer

It's time to experience life now. You're going to have to leave sooner or later. If you can get the financial assistance needed, go to the school that will take you out of that hometown. In reality, you're not all that far away. You can always come visit for the weekend and for holidays.

Best Answer

By all means go to the better college, I live in Minnesota and my daughter went to a very prestigious college in Maine and graduated magna *** laude

Best Answer

Please follow the advice of those of us who will probably be telling you to leave your hometown. Go out there and experience life, you can always come back to visit plus everyone will miss and appreciate you more.

Best Answer

I have depression but it would never make me want to keep my children tied to me like that. You must live your life to the fullest and go for this opportunity. You can still be supportive to your mum with visits and 'phone calls. I really hope you put this to her and that she agrees. Good luck.

Best Answer

i'd suggest you talk to your mother. See what she has to say...take it from there. Common sense tells me you should go for the college that'll give you the opportuni ties you need but also being a daughter myself, i understand your worries. Please discuss this with your mum.

Best Answer

theres no dilemma the quest for knowage doesn't come cheap.I had a boss that allways said what ever has to be done.I say go to the best.you will leave home eventually why not now?

Best Answer

I just worry about my mother a lot. She has depression and it can trigger at any time, sometimes leading her in hospital. She also has arthritis which makes it difficult for her to do things. So, she would be home by herself.

Best Answer

sorry hadn't realised.your blite I appogise

Best Answer

No don't apologise, I couldn't put in all the information :)

Best Answer

Going away to college is a great experience. It's nice that your's would be only hours away because then, if needed, you could go home easily.

Best Answer

you're right had not known you sittuation.as you can see by my spelling I never went to college was inducted into the army at a young age now suffer from p.t.s.d.school woulld just agravite me now

Best Answer

Don't borrow huge sums of money for college. Its mostly a waste of time and money.

Best Answer

I'll be getting financial support for that, money isn't an issue.

Best Answer

I had the exact same situation as you and could not get away fast enough. I left all my friends and family in my hometown 6 hrs away while I did my degree. Be VERY VERY careful which school you pick. While I enjoyed the first 1-2 years away from home (simply because it was a different experience) after a few years I began to hate the city I lived in. The culture of the city just didn't match my values and style etc. It was too materialistic and I kept meeting people who were very insular and superficial. Be prepared for this possibility that you might not like anyone you meet and will be lonely. If I could go back in time I would have done more research about the school and the city but I learned a lot about myself and gained life experience by leaving my hometown. I really recommend it but DO RESEARCH about the city and school... the demographics, the job prospects for after graduation, and the type of person the school attracts.

Best Answer