My landlord knew of a leak from a light fixture in my living room which he didn't inform me about. The previous tenant moved out cause of health issues. I wasn't informed of that until the former tenant told me. I called the landlord telling him I was feeling ill and he retorted "its all in your head". I called maintenance to come remove the carpet to check for mold. They also claimed "its in your head". After I threatened that I would tear up the carpet if they didn't, low and behold there was mold found which he claimed was water damage. I feel very ill which I'm sure is b/c of mold exposure. Its so bad I have a mold smell coming from my skin no matter how often I shower and bath. I haven't been able to find a job b/c I don't want to be in public like this. Its humiliating and taking quite an emotional toll on top of sore throat and itchy eyes. Does this make sense enough to have grounds for a lawsuit? I dont have room to write all the details. In a nutshell he's a slumlord.
ChocSwurl ChocSwurl 26-30, F 14 Answers Jul 16, 2011

I have issues with our landlord for 4 years now. First it was the dishwasher that fizzed out then it was the outside commercial fridge that fizzed out. Then there was the mold issue. We reported straight away and the only solution for the landlord was to change real estates. We have had real estates changed on us 6 times. Nothing has been fix during that time. The mold is quite intense and I find I have everyone of the symptoms of mold in my system. Someday I cannot even go to work as the headaches and itchy eyes prevent me from driving as that is my job. I feel like our landlord doesn't give 2 ***** about our items of the property that haven't worked in close to 2 1/2yrs. Do I have ground to sue for negelate? I feel he changes real estates so he doesn't have to deal with us

Best Answer

What you could do is stop paying rent until he fixes the problems.You will have a better outcome that way IMO than to hire a lawyer and try to get a judgement out of him.Depending on the state and I hope you are not in Arizona you could stay as long as 6 month rent free before the courts may evict you.6 months free rent no lawyer fees might be better than the other road.In any case problem solved because you will either get him to fix it or you will be evicted from a slum lords property which are typically not places you want to live anyway.

Best Answer

I've never had that sort of problem, but if you believe you have a case, then I think I might try the housing authority or the health department. They should be able to guide you as to any rights you might have in the matter or to any other agencies that might handle this sort of thing. Even the Better Business Bureau or local police might be able to steer you in the direction of the agency that might help. You might want to be sure that the former tenant will also back you up as to the fact that the problem was preexisting and that there was no remedial action taken or disclosure granted to a new tenant. There are laws regarding this sort of thing. I'm just not very familiar with them.

Best Answer

Unless you can document that the conditions were presnt at move in. and you can also show that the issue is a health hazard you will not win. If you have the neccesary health hazard eveidence , the accomadition will most likely be closed to habitation thus forceing you to move. So instead of the money spent on all this spend it seeking new acccomadations.

Best Answer

I am in the process of documenting as much as I can. I dont have a lot of money as I was a student and nearing the end of the semester all these symptoms kicked in. I contacted a health inspector. I'm kind of going on the basis that if an apartment needs to be shut down for repairs that the agency should accommodate me with another place to live in the meantime no?

Best Answer

A leak in a light fixture? Unless it is a gas powered light that, makes no sense.<br />
I think,unless you have documented proof that he knew of the hazards and still did nothing,you would have a hard time winning. Also,unless you have documented proof from a doctor that the mold is what is causing your health problems, and you have made every resonable effort to have the problem corrected,good luck getting any legal support.<br />
Unless you can find a lawer that will take the case Qid pro quo, be prepared for a long expensive court battle. I am sure that if you had that kind of money you would have already moved to a better place.

Best Answer

Its a flush mount ceiling fixture. Landlord claimed the other tenant must have forgot to put the covering back on over the light bulbs and it was too high up to put it back on. The water is leaking from the ceiling through the metal rod that holds the glass covering in place after its screwed on.

Best Answer

It's all in your head.

Best Answer

You would have to be American - lets sue someone <br />
Why did he FORCE you to live in this SLUM - NO <br />
dont always blame someone else

Best Answer

So, when you have been wronged by some one what course of action would you recomend?

Best Answer

educate yourself more so you can't get wronged by people so much

Best Answer

Your right, it is a learning experience

Best Answer