Although I live in South Korea, I do get Australian TV, and there's a lot of talk about that topic at the moment...
miseulola miseulola 22-25, F 19 Answers Apr 30, 2013 in Community

There is a saying "when in Rome do as the Romans do" and it is right to an extent. Dignity also comes into it though, and as long as it is peaceful it should be granted.

Best Answer

They should adapt to the new culture but shouldn't have to give up their old one, to me, giving up your lineage is the biggest shame.

Best Answer

I agree with that..

Best Answer

No one is suggesting anyone deny their heritage, there is plenty of room for that "at home", but a person's "heritage" should not be publicly funded.

Best Answer

You're disagreeing with me from the stance of your own interpretation to the question, there's no way I would agree to that though, it's downright unethical to remove that freedom, no one should feel pressurised and ashamed to disclose their heritage publicly.

Best Answer

I live in a country that styles itself as "officially bilingual". Now, what that means to 80+% of the population is: from a young age another language is firmly jammed down your throat, and the tax payers have to cough up 4 1/2 BILLION dollars yearly to appease a minority. You want to avoid this situation at ALL costs (if you have ANY sense) and by "enshrining" the rights of minorities you are nudging the door open to this very same BS.

Best Answer

They should have whatever culture they want to have, provided said culture does not infringe on others' rights... The end.

Best Answer

Australians can be very racist and small minded . The ignorance of my fellow country men makes me embarrassed at times .

I believe what makes a country beautiful is a blend of many cultures .

Best Answer

Great answer, I've lived in Australia for the past four years and I've never been surrounded by more racism in my life :/ why do you think it's particularly bad over here?

Best Answer

"Multiculturalism" does not work, never has, never will, it is simply a political ploy to divide and conquer.

Best Answer

I don't think so for places like America where there isn't one defined culture, it's such a melting pot.

In regards to Muslims, I don't think they should b/c their beliefs and style of clothing is based on their religious faith. Forcing someone to give up their religion is pretty harsh.

Best Answer

No one is "forcing" anything. If, after studying the accepted customs of a place you are thinking about moving to, you decide they are repulsive to you, simply don't move there.

Best Answer

Australia is full of racist, bogan scum like Ned Kelly.

Best Answer

I couldn't agree more...

Best Answer

Normally I would berate this for being just as hateful... But your posts are typically accurate and well-reasoned. And Australia did have that big racial problem with the natives... So I'm considering that you may have a point here as well.

Best Answer

Okay, I'm Australian, and used to live in Australia, and that makes me racist and bogan scum? Really .....

Best Answer

I said Australia is full of racist bogan scum. Did I say all Australians are racist bogan scum? No numbnut. I'm an Aussie myself.

Best Answer

It's like when people say that America is full of obese conservatives... I am neither, but I know objectively that the statement is true so I usually don't take offense. It does depend on how it's worded, however.

Best Answer

That's the general image the immigrants have due to the way they've been treated, retaliating hatred with more hatred is human nature at best. I thought Australians would know better that this is to be expected, after all, their culture was found on genocide.

Best Answer

Alright alright, so I misread your response, no need to get your panties in a twist.

Best Answer

As an Australian I agree with you . Sadly we are full of bigots .

Best Answer

Just wait till the Libs get in and they give free reign to the racists....

Best Answer

@ laurarey he didn't say all so don't get so defensive .

Best Answer

Yes, yes I realise that.

Best Answer

I have to disagree with you as we have no culture here . We have a shocking past and a sad present and the future doesn't look too great either .

Best Answer

Disagree with who?

Best Answer

Disagree with me I assume, I admit, I said 'Australian culture' out of politeness.

Best Answer

No, anyone should express their spiritual beliefs and personal preferences to the best of their abilities given that it does no harm to others or themselves.

Best Answer

Yay, someone else here isn't an idiot. I was beginning to worry I was one of the last people to believe in personal choice.

Best Answer

I'm happy to see your answer as well.. I'm pretty taken aback by the answers on here.

Best Answer

Personally, I have absolutely no problem with it. I believe they should have the right to dress and do as they please, to a certain extent obviously as you had mentioned. On the other hand I know people who believe otherwise, why ... racism, blatant ignorance, take your pick.... I thought the majority of responses would be like-minded to my own, but didn't expect such a divide in opinions...

Best Answer

They should indeed or they should stay in their own culture. It is disgusting and disrespectful not to become assimilated.

Best Answer

I *think*, if you are considering the possibility of moving to a place, you look at the local customs and decide if it is something you wish to be a part of. If the local customs are something you find distasteful, or insulting, might I suggest you not move there?

If everyone involved used a bit of common sense a whole lot of BS would be avoided.

Best Answer

The US used to be called the "melting pot", and it became stronger as each culture was integrated. But the melting has stopped, and immigrants are allowed to expect that we will adapt to them. Every day we have less in common with each other. Signs are now in Spanish as well as English, and ballots for voters are printed in multiple languages. The public school systems, which used to be an integrating force, are slowly being replaced by "charter schools" and privately-funded schools which pretty much do their own thing with minimal oversight. We are becoming a nation of enclaves.

Best Answer

It is expected and most of the immigrants do adopt except for Muslims, in fact they rather start imposing their ideology on the host country

Best Answer

*Sometimes* should probably be in front of everything dealing with religion...

Best Answer

I'd like some example resources please. Or is this nothing, but personal biased opinion?

Best Answer

I like your bold attempt at backing up your argument with your imagination.

Best Answer

Its not what someone chooses to wear . There are some homeless people who dress way more outrageous than a burqa or a veil but at least those people speak English , Now we have some illegals aliens from south america who have been here illegally since ronald reagan gave the last few million amnesty and still they don't speak english that is what we should be looking at .

Best Answer

People should not immigrate period and in a perfect world that you are trying to make they would not want too.

Best Answer

Sure, please do the honour of convincing governments to stop making peoples' lives so ******* hard, oh and also, we should probably abolish all free-trade agreements and close the borders, you shall never see 'Made in China' again, perfect world it is.

Best Answer

Are you fùcking serious? Talking about a perfect world when you're obviously living a delusion. Wake up and learn something instead of using your head for more than a damn paperweight.

Best Answer

Sure that is good, people can go back to self depended like framing etc. Going to happen anyway we are the (world) is on borrowed time, borrowed money and the bombs get bigger everyday.

Best Answer

yes

Best Answer

Retard.

Best Answer

I would hope that we don't all end up the same.

Best Answer

yes. when in rome, do as the romans do.

Best Answer

I don't think that idea falls under personal spiritual beliefs... Retard.

Best Answer

oh hi, retard, nice to meet you! maybe. what *is* your problem?

Best Answer

Oh, given that all immigrants are either war criminals, slaves or prostitutes.

Best Answer

Just because one person said a popular phrase once doesn't make it logically defensible.

Best Answer

I could ask you the same. Your views are clearly short sided and lack explanation making you look like an unethical àss clown.

Best Answer

what's with all the anger? are you unhappy, or have mental issues? the violence in your words exceeds normalcy. you do not have to take it out on strangers, you know?

Best Answer

It's infuriating when fools attempt to play with other people's lives, isn't it? :|
Let them have whatever ****ing culture they want, as long as they can function well enough in society. This isn't Stalin's Russia FFS. Some of these responses are sickening.

Best Answer

Best Answer

Next time you decide to make noncommittal remarks in a topic that is highly sensitive and controversial, be prepared to get flamed to shreds. lol

Best Answer

by people who are not prepared to talk, but simply resort to insult? oh yeah, right. the web belongs to the feeble minded, is it?

Best Answer