http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/16/i-am-adam-lanzas-mother-mental-illness-conversation_n_2311009.html
Shinesaathlove Shinesaathlove 46-50, M 6 Answers Dec 16, 2012 in EP

No, we should not hide it. My now nine-year-old daughter Rhea has been diagnosed with Bipolar w/psychotic features. If I hadn't brought her in to see the professionals, her condition would have declined until I would have lost her.

Best Answer

Resources in mental health are definitely lacking especially for those with limited finances or health insurance. Read the article I am Adam Lanzas Mother and that will explain some of the frustrations in dealing with a child with mental illness.

Best Answer

Your screwed up kid is your problem from the day you bring them in this world until the day either of you dies. These are the risks and responsiblities you take when you bring a potential threat to others in this world.<br />
You know your kid is crazy? Lock the fuc ker away so that other people don't have to watch their normal children get mowed down. <br />
If my kids shows ANY signs, I'm spending my life making sure he NEVER takes the life of an innocent. If my normal kid gets killed because you were a sh itty parent, I want blood.

Best Answer

mental illness is a wide spectrum and most people who are mentally ill never try to hurt other people.. your answer shows a great deal of ignorance and insensitivity on the issue..

Best Answer

Most people. You said most. What about those who do? What about how successful they've all been at hurting others because people like you want to handle threatening people with kid gloves? To me someone mentally ill is someone with say Downs Syndrome, I highly doubt those types of people are threats but people like me who are lets say severely depressed with hormonal imbalances, those are the people who need to be watched out for.
If those people don't care about their own lives how do you think they feel about others lives? Have they ever killed others just as mentally sick as themselves? I don't think so.
Your ignorance and unwillingness to accept reality is staggering.

Best Answer

you suggest "locking the fuc ker away", that is not realistic nor fair considering that the majority of mentally ill people cause no harm to others.. there are plenty non mentally ill people who commit criminal acts as well. by your logic, everyone in the world should just be separated and locked up.. that is real ignorance and unwillingness to accept reality.. i do not think people should be treated with "kid's gloves", the opposite, mentally ill people should and deserve to get the treatment they need for their condition, they should be monitored and yes, if need be, hospitalized.. but you cannot label them all as dangerous, crazy, unfit for society because that is just inaccurate, offensive and quite ignorant.. that is the kind of attitude that creates shame about mental illness and thus prevents sick people who need treatment from seeking it.. oh, and just so you know, down syndrome is not even a mental disorder.. perhaps it is time to go back to psych 101.. sure hope, for their sake, that your children do not have any type of mental disorder, doubt that with a parent like you they would get the help and support they would require.. good luck to you..

Best Answer

Good luck to you as well. Hopefully you learn not to insult others just because you disagree with their viewpoint. That's not very becoming and it does nothing for your argument. And try not to be so arrogant about your education as I'm quite sure you're not the only one on EP with a degree.

Best Answer

sorry, i didn't mean to offend. and i believe i was being only as insulting as you were. i don't have a degree (mental illness got in the way of completing my degree) but i did study psychology extensively so do know a few things on that topic..

Best Answer

No problem. I can understand that my ideas are abrasive but I feel passionately about this matter because I get tired of people tip toeing around it while innocents are killed. I think the definitions of mental illness have broadened because I tend to see things a bit stricter I guess? I don't think depression and suicidal thoughts count as a mental illness. To me a mental illness is something you're born with or is caused by something highly traumatic. I'm depressed and suicidal and I've never had any thoughts or desires to harm anyone but myself.

Best Answer

no, parents should not hide their child's mental illness.. they should try to provide the child with as much help as possible, that is the parents' responsibility..

Best Answer

No. Probably.<br />
<a href="http://www.experienceproject.com/stories/Hate-Seeing-Shootings-Happen-At-Schools/2800312" target="ep_blank">EP Link</a>

Best Answer