since our prisons are so crowded anyway and it's expensive to keep them in there. it would save us a lot of tax money that could be spent on better things and rehabilitation doesn't work for them.
righteouschica righteouschica 18-21, F 17 Answers Oct 13, 2012 in Politics

they should be sentenced to life, and people in prison for things like marijuana possession and other non-violent crimes should be released or put on house arrest or probation to deal with overcrowding.

Best Answer

yes!! that is something I can agree with.

Best Answer

"thou shalt not kill" chica

Best Answer

Aren't you sweet...

Best Answer

I don't believe in the death penalty in any case. But we could do a lot to improve our prison system and it purpose concerning rehab. Maybe not with insane or career crims, but there is surely a lot of improvement that can be done in other areas.

Best Answer

No no no no no. Few reasons.<br />
1. The death penalty is more expensive than life in prison. <br />
2. Revenge is a foul motive. <br />
3. The state has no right to execute its own citizens, or should have no right.<br />
4. Pyschopaths and serial killers don't just "happen" - there are complex social reasons why a place like America has such a problem with spree shootings and serial killers. Death penalty puts the focus on individual acts, and away from fixing the **** that creates these people in the first place.

Best Answer

I agree with all your other points but why do you think death penalty is more expensive than life in prison. Sources?

Best Answer

I went to look this up and found a good article on politifact, who is a pretty good fact checking website. I'm not 100% right, but the death penalty is still very expensive. http://tinyurl.com/66gwxhq

Best Answer

whoa. thanks for sharing!

Best Answer

In California, they actually compared the costs to keeping people incarcerated for life vs. housing them on death row, waiting as the appeals go through (usually a minimum of 10 years) and the costs of actually executing them---it IS more expensive. That why a repeal of the death penalty here is on the ballot for November. It may not pass, but the numbers brought it up for the vote.

Best Answer

Wow. I did not know that. I always assumed the death penalty would be a cheaper option. Guess I need to research more on this issue :)

Best Answer

F*** yeah! they are a treat to mankind :)

Best Answer

Hypothetically: yes<br />
In reality: No. I think killing one innocent person is much worse than killing ten guilty people. The justice systems of the world are always flawed and I don't think we should risk innocent people getting fr<x>amed for murder(s).

Best Answer

but what if he confesses to it? some psychopaths do.

Best Answer

Yes, some do, but some of those ones have mental issues and confess to crimes they didn't even commit (e.g. in the Jon Benet Ramsay case).

Best Answer

ahh that case was messed up

Best Answer

I know! We've got ppl like that here as well. :S
The other problem is political framing, where ppl with power try to eliminate other ppl who are a threat to them by false accusations of serious crimes. This is happening in a number of Asian countries...

Best Answer

oh yes, didn't think of that one. good call!

Best Answer

It's really hard to diagnose... institutionalization and rehabilitation would be better

Best Answer

rehab doesn't work for them.

Best Answer

Yes !

Best Answer