Should there be any federal laws made limiting the number of dogs a person can own and house on their personal property? If so, do you think this would help to restrict the growth of puppy mills and to help cut down on animal abuse and neglect?
Ariahsmom Ariahsmom 22-25, F 37 Answers May 21, 2009

The FEDERAL GOVERNMENT?????? NO effing way! My STATE government shouldn't get involved. It's an extremely local issue and should be determined on a local level. In my state and the state I'm moving to each town has it's own limits. <br />
In some more rural areas hobby kennels, training facilities or hunting clubs can safely and properly care for 30-60 or even 100 dogs. In a suburban area, 4 might be the limit before you'd impinge on your neighbors. In urban areas, even 2 large breeds might be too many, but 4 chihuahuas might not be bothersome.<br />
If you want to stop puppy mills, make it illegal to sell puppies and kittens in pet stores. In other words, kill the demand. Without the demand, the supply will dwindle. Also education of the consumer MUST be addressed. WAY too many people STILL believe that AKC registration means "quality". For the record, because AKC fees and paperwork are so onerous, most puppy mill pups are registered with registries that don't even guarantee that the parents are registered. People don't even read the papers carefully, boasting they have AKC registered dogs when the papers are CKC or AKA. Those registries are just shells that stamp any papers that the breeder sends in. The pedigrees? What a joke!<br />
Most places already have restrictions on how many pets you can own. What's lacking is the funding for ENFORCEMENT of existing laws.

Best Answer

i think that if people can afford to take care of abunch of dogs and give them the proper loving and care and feed them and all that then i think it should be ok cause that person or persons can afford to give their dogs the right stuff their dogs need but i also think if people aint cabale of takin care of their dogs they should give the dogs to people that can take care of them

Best Answer

Laws should look at how the animal are housed and cared for. My goal when I retire is to have a farm specifically for animals that need homes. I dont want to be restricted by the numbers I can have. As long as there is adequate space, shelter water and love for them all there should not be any limited on the animals I should be allowed to care for and either find homes or for those that are difficult to place have a forever home with me on the "farm". Some people cant care for one dog or cat and there are some that can care for more. Situations are individual.

Best Answer

it is not the state gov or Federal govs business or yours on how many dogs any one owns. like everything else you give the political parasites an inch in passing a law like that, they will pass twenty more laws banning or regulating anything they can to buy a vote using that one law as a basis. <br />
let them do their constitutionally mandated job, which they cant seem to handle anyway, and keep out of peoples personal lives.

Best Answer

This question has been open for a while but I will add anyway as I'm new ..so it's new to me. <br />
I have seven dogs....3 very old (12 to 14 years old) and 4 around 2 years old. I think the city I'm in limits it to 5 per household when you aren't a breeder as long as they are spayed and or neutered. I have never bred a dog or any animal and never will. I have taken in 3 dogs that were out of bad breeding situations. I love them all...<br />
One of them was born with a ureter that isn't connected to his bladder correctly so he has accidents more than the average dog...I just put a puppy pad down for him. Most time these dogs are euthanized because the surgery doesn't really work and most people don't want to deal with them. <br />
This lil guy is my favorite (they all are but he has a special place in my heart). It is very expensive for their care and their food. I don't think everyone should have these many dogs, unless they really know that puppies are just a small phase of their lives. My dogs are my family and like any part of my family..I would do anything for them. <br />
If anything...I think their should be laws in place to stop people from being allowed to breed without strict protocol and perhaps ongoing classes and willingness to be inspected monthly. Classes that show that animals do in fact have emotion and feel pain and loneliness and any array of feelings just like humans. I have seen the horrors of puppy mills and I think that pet shops should not be allowed to sell animals....<br />
Don't kill me verbally for this if there are breeders out there..but perhaps there should be a stop to all breeding for say five years so that we can get a grip on bad breeders and find housing for those dogs that really need it. <br />
Dogs aren't a design and they aren't for only your pleasure...

Best Answer

The less the Feds have to do with our lives, the better. You can not regulate love. You can prosicute people who are abusive however. I am so sick of "Lets make another law to control people" that I could scream. Education and consequences are the answer. Laws do not make people act right. Look at our prisons! Loving caring responsible parents make loving caring responsible children into loving adults. I know that being loving and patienct with children and animals is harder and takes more time than hitting them or just training them, but it works better in the longrun. Loves bring love and thats what we need to be teaching.

Best Answer

That is not reasonable. The less the federal government gets its "paws" on the better. I rescued a mutt from a private shelter that took donations to run that was quite nice. They cared for about 60 dogs at times.<br />
We just had a law passed in Raleigh saying you cant have a dog "tied-out" for more than 3 hours. My sister has 2 huskies on ropes that are about 100 feet each. Huskies are not house dogs, hers can get out of any fence or pen so where does that leave them? These dogs love the cold. They will swim in ice-water and not have a bit of a shiver. Now, how will they let the dogs run all day with this new law? If you let them completely loose, they run for miles and sometimes get lost.<br />
We already have cruelty to animal laws that should work. Why put more laws in place without judging each case individually.

Best Answer

Absolutely NOT. IT is the first step in taking away more of our rights as humans. Next it would be to allow humans to have only one child like they do in China. That is a very dangerous slope to go down.

Best Answer

no i don't think they have the right to tell you what you can or can't have in your house..<br />
i have 4 dogs and i take very good care of them..<br />
i have all boys so i don't have the problem of puppies.. but i also have a friend that has 20 dogs in her house.. yes she is a breeder. but i don't think it wrong to love animals and to take care of them the right way.. they are what makes me get up in the morning.. they come and hug me to tell me it is time for them to go out.. i would go nuts without my animals and i have plenty of them..

Best Answer

no that should be left to the state<br />
it is impractical and inexusuable for a person that is living in say baltimore to have ten dogs <br />
but someone living a rural area like utah or montana should be able to take care of such a large pack....

Best Answer

Since you're question says "federal", I'm assuming you're in a country set up as a federation, such as Switzerland or the US. Here in the US, our government isn't set up that way. The Constitution grants certain powers to the federal government, all others are assumed by state and local governments. This would definitely be a local government issue, and many local governments here do have such laws.

Best Answer

ABSOLUTELY!! So many people "collect" animals and then it's the animals that suffer...

Best Answer

no in the country you should be able to have as many as you want as long as you can care for them the right way but in the city i would say no more than 4 either way it should really be up to the pet owner as long as they are not like the people on animal planet with 23+ cats or dogs and the area is filthy

Best Answer

I don't think there should be any laws against people taking in animals---there definitely should be laws against animal abuse--and in most places I've lived, there are...<br />
Puppy mills and other abusive situations--need to be reported.

Best Answer

On their persona? Ha ha aha ha aha ahahahahahahahahha<br />
*breathes*<br />
hahahhahahahahhahahahahahahahah

Best Answer

I think that there shouldn't be any limit.<br />
There are some people that just enjoy having large dogs around them.

Best Answer

Government is not enforcing the laws already on the books and we do not need the federal government doing this job. <br />
The local ordinances are there in almost every place in the country (in one form or another - animal endangerment, health codes, etc.) they just need to be put into practice.

Best Answer

Yes, I think the number should be one. Well, maybe 2 because 1 is a lonely number.

Best Answer

i think there are some rules about the number of animals on square meter you can have. As long as you can provide enough space and good conditions, you can have as many as you want. <br />
Also, for those who take dogs in house, living in a building of apartments, if there is smell that bothers the other people in building, or any other kind of mess, authorities can intervene.

Best Answer

Most counties have animal rights laws of their own. In PA you can have 7 dogs in your house if more then that you have to get a kennel license. And as long as people think they can make money selling animals you will continue to have puppy mills. Lancaster PA is famous for them. SO SAD! The best thing we could do is go to the pound for a dog or cat, stop buying from pet shops that's where the puppy mill puppies are sold. And most of them come into the pet shop with health problems and require vet care to resolve their issues. My daughter worked in a pet shop, so that is my experience with this type of outlet. Backyard breeders have almost ruined some breeds with their goal of making money on puppies. And watch out if their is a movie about a breed then everyone wants one, and lots of dog owners see money on the paw!!!!!!!!!!!

Best Answer