I'm talking at elementary, middle, and high schools. Would it be traumatizing for children to see armed guards? Does it matter? Would you pay higher taxes to pay these guards? Would the guards even make a difference?
lindsloves lindsloves 22-25, F 18 Answers Dec 19, 2012 in Community

No. Having more guns doesn't solve the gun problem.

Best Answer

Only in a society as fcucked up as America would this question need to be asked.

Best Answer

There's been mass murders all over the world, do some research. There was just a mass murder at a school in china a few days ago.

Best Answer

And ever hear about the 2011 Norway massacre?

Best Answer

You Americans can attempt to live in denial all you want. Things have happened on rare occassions elsewhere in the world. But when it comes to guns America is the murder capital of the developed world. Only outdone by a few countries that are war zones and lawless.

Best Answer

You should find your facts in places other than google my friend. And I'm terribly sorry, I'm sure the man in china only meant to injure those children, not kill them...because America is so much more violent than China. Riight.

Best Answer

You just don't like facts do you? Like so many Americans you prefer to have faith in things without the need for evidence. No other advanced nation even comes close to America in terms of murder rates and especially murder by guns. Not even close. Your country is very unique and special in that sense. Americans are extremely good at killing each other.

Best Answer

I know the US murder rates are much more, ok? But don't act like this country's the only place where mass murder occurs. There's been SEVERAL other incidents in SEVERAL other countries, probably many in the country where your *** is planted. And the US is so ****** up right? And this place is full of people killing each other? Then why are so many people striving to come here? The world hates us, but continue to come here.

Best Answer

So many people are trying to get to my country as well. Just because there's many countries out there more desperate than ours doesn't mean much does it? That's really not much of an argument is it? There have been 3 or 4 gun related massacres in Australia that I can remember in my lifetime. We now have some of the strictest gun ownership laws in the world and now have one of the lowest murder rates by guns in the world. We haven't had a gun related massacre for a long time. I'd say America has about as many gun related massacres each year as we have had in the entire history of Australia. It would be similar for most other advanced nations on the globe. America is in a league of their own when it comes to killing each other with guns.

Best Answer

You win...Australia is better than the US....you happy now? I hope you are.

Best Answer

I hate living in Australia and I don't see this as a competition. Unlike you it seems I'm more than capable of seeing and accepting the bad things in my country. You seem incapable of accepting how fcucked up your is when it comes to gun control.

Best Answer

Dude, I agree with gun control...as a matter of fact I wish they would be completely outlawed..and I've felt like that since I've been able to feel anything. I'm very liberal, but I get offended when someone, who doesn't live here, makes it seem like all my country is are gun toting, god fearing, idiots. I hate guns. Don't have one, I've never even seen one in person.

Best Answer

The fact that so little has been done to control gun ownership is proof enough of the power of the gun lobby and how many people in your country support maintaining liberal gun ownership laws.

Best Answer

Im aware that about HALF of the country wants less gun control, but the other half wants MORE gun control and I'm part of that half. That's why I voted for Obama, because he believes in stricter guns laws, but he has to get through our congress and they're majority republicans who refuse to compromise.

Best Answer

It's not just Obama though is it? This has been an issue in the US for many decades. All administrations have been unable or unwilling to get through decent gun control laws. I don't hold out much hope Obama will be any different.

Best Answer

Sure why not, while we're at it let's post the National guard at government offices. How about institute metal dectectors in every building and have security checkpoints at borders of towns and states? I've got a better one, why not stick an RFID+GPS tracker chip in everyone so ID is obselete and the government can keep an eye on us 24/7?<br />
Your questions is a clear example of why Americans care only for freedoms they like while ignoring and trampling on other freedoms. Like the right to enjoy life, the right to not be shot at school, and the right to shoot guns in a safe, recreational manner.<br />
The problem is not that schools don't have an armed guard, the problem is that guns are too easily available to the mentally ill and criminally minded. No other country has this problem, it's not video games, it's not movies, it's not rock and roll, and it's not satan. It's Us. We kill children, women, men, the elderly. Every gun requires someone to pull the trigger, Guns don't kill people, the bullet a person put into the gun kills people.<br />
The first step is regulating who can purchase guns, the next is regulating the guns themselves, the third and final step is Draconian penalties for gun violence. If We refuse to stop killing one another we can at least make Murder natural life rather than a thirty to life sentence....

Best Answer

The US already regulates who can buy guns, that's not to say that once the gun is bought what happens with it.
I want there to be a complete ban on guns in the US..all guns. It will never happen, but I can dream.
I respect your response, but some of the things you said are a little extreme to me. I'm not sure if you're American or not but since when did Americans not have the right to enjoy life? I've said this a million times on this thread but there are risks in every country..there have been mass murders throughout the world..and I know in America it's happened more!! I know that. The US has a problem, and no one..not even you, has it figured out..because if it could be figured out it would have already been changed.
Like I've also said before, if guns were outlawed there would be less violent crimes, and if you disagree, you're in denial. It's not a quick fix, but it would for damn sure discourage people from having guns in the first place to commit the crimes.

Best Answer

You fail reading comprehension forever...I'm an anarchist, and probably one of the most moderate voices on these boards. Which is hilarious...Anyway, I'm an american, the issue is not just the guns, it's the culture of violence the US thrives on.So while there would be less gun violence there would be just as much violent crime. Laws against rape haven't stopped any of the thousands in jail have they? So clearly it's not just guns and it's not just a ton of "lone rapists". My point is that many many good ideas backfire insanely. the road to hell is paved with good intentions. Just look at the Patriot act, it completely violates the fourth amendment, but if it helps catch terrorists the idiot hawks on terror will crucify anyone who suggests repealing it. Don't let your grief and anger overide your common sense. Guns are not evil, People are.

Best Answer

You have a little problem with comprehension yourself, but we all have our problems right? I don't think guns are evil..I think that if outlawing guns saved 1 life, then its worth it. I know the reason people are going postal is not guns, but mental illness..it doesn't take a genius like you to know that. But now that we have this problem of people shooting innocents, I believe getting rid of them all would do us more good than bad.

Best Answer

Innocents always end up in the crossfire. However this was not crossfire this was a targeted killing. We need to seriously change who is able to get handguns and firearms, how they store the weapons, and have to register the weapons. That way if they "get stolen" and end up used in a crime we'll know where they came from. The problem with banning guns is the only way to make sure this never happens again is to ransack people's houses and destroy every gun you find. That would be terrifying and an apalling violation of our rights. Until firearms are treated with the seriousness we give explosives, tragedies like these will continue to happen.

Best Answer

Yes--along with razor wire fencing, sniper towers that provide 360 coverage of the property, metal detectors at the doors, regular searches of student and faculty lockers, school uniforms (think pocketless jump suits) that students must change into before entering the building proper, and TSA-style body scanners to make sure nothing was transferred from outside the building to inside.<br />
What? You say that sounds ludicrous? Extreme? Hmm. Interesting.<br />
Where do you want to draw the line, then? Which steps above are too extreme?<br />
Curious, eh?

Best Answer

I believe that any teacher that wants to should be allowed to carry at school. Forget the extra armed guards. They would be an unnecessary expense.

Best Answer

And when a student gets shot by accident what happens then?

Best Answer

Why do you focus on the negative? Millions of people carry firearms everyday without "accidentally" shooting someone. Why do you think it would happen if a teacher who has a concealed carry license will have an "accident" and shoot a student?

Best Answer

In many of the middle and high schools here, there have been armed security guards for some time. Having them in the elementary schools as well, would not be that strange, considering, although it's sad that it should be necessary.

Best Answer

No. But, since science has proven the common thread in all psychopaths and serial killers, and folks that go postal on society have abnormal frontal lobes; I think a brain scan should be required on people instead of drug tests.

Best Answer

Many schools have officers on campus. They not only train employees on how to handle situations but also provide the school with someone who is keeping an eye out for potential problems. Having them there serves as a deterent to some extent.

Best Answer

Yeah I know..my high school had one police officer that would walk around the school and I'm sure that deterred some craziness. I'm asking about armed guards at the door checking people before they go in at all schools. I personally don't think that's the answer but I was wondering what other people thought.

Best Answer

I would say armed guards would be an overreaction to an isolated incident.

Best Answer

So, how would you feel if that "isolated" incident included your child?

Best Answer

I have great empathy for all those involved in the horrible tragedy in Connecticut. I thought you were just "wondering what other people thought"? So I shared.

Best Answer

Yep I was wondering was other people thought..and Im going to respond with what I think too :)

Best Answer

armed kids should not get into schools and if armed guards are in schools there should be a detailed explanation given to children and any trauma should be taken as a serious priority. the guards should all be introduced to the kids and should be qualified to deal on the level of understanding of children. i guess what im trying to say is if something is done, anything, do it with consideration and care and do it instead of talking about it. i feel these situations should have been taken care of a long time ago. how many times. what has been done???????

Best Answer

**** no. Then parents would say "my kid has to protect themselves against those guards. One of them might snap one day."

Best Answer

no

Best Answer

i say yes...at the entrance area...

Best Answer

No. Teachers should be trained in fire arm use and they should all go to school each wearing one of those chest holsters packing heat. <br />
Save money on guards and might make trouble making kids think twice about dissing the teacher.

Best Answer

Have you ever been a teacher ? MORE kids would end up dead, not fewer. And I'm only being slightly facetious. Seriously, I taught briefly, and neither I nor any of the teachers I've known, including my mother, sister, etc, would've wanted to teach under those circumstances. Another consideration: there have been reports of a few teachers behaving "inappropriately" with children in districts around the state. Imagine if a kid didn't feel he could complain or refuse because that teacher was armed.

Best Answer

Well then thats where teacher selection and review comes into the picture. Teachers should go through a very stringent selection and be monitored now. even without a gun.

Best Answer

There are armed kids. Why not?

Best Answer