go asked a dumb azz republican

Best Answer

This is a really tough question. In a perfect world, unemployment benefits would support a person of family while the person was unemployed through no fault of their own while the person did everything possible to find a job and was willing to take whatever job were available.<br />
I have been unemployed several times in my life. It is never fun or easy. Each time it has happened I have worked hard and faithfully to find a job -- but not any job. I was willing only to take a job that was comparable and commensurate with my experience, capabilities, prior work history, and prior salary. I was not willing to take whatever job was available. Is this reasonable? I don't know, but I do know it is typical of most people.<br />
Unfortunately, in a situation like we have today, companies are not hiring as much as normal. In truth, even though absolute employment has increased somewhat, the rate of unemployment has remained steady or even increased in recent months. When you look at the real rate of unemployment, some estimates place the number in the mid to high teens around 17 percent. This includes all of those who technically are on the unemployment roles are are supposedly looking for work. It also includes those who have for any reason fallen off the unemployment roles or are no longer looking for work.<br />
There is something of a theory that as long as people receive an unemployment check, they will not be willing to take any job and will remain unemployed in hopes of finding a job at least as good as the one they lost. I believe this is true. But when companies are not hiring and the nation is in a recession, and yes we still are in a recession, can we fairly just cut them all off? Probably not. Again unfortunately, Government has never been and never will be a fine instrument -- Government is very blunt and does not deal well in nuances. The ideal might be to deal with every case on an individual basis, evaluate whether and how hard a person is looking and how willing to take any job and reduce or terminate unemployment for those unwilling to act, but continue it for those who are trying hard without success. I don't know how to implement that as Government policy.<br />
Perhaps the answer is to offer a steadily decreasing amount of unemployment once the initial period has been exceeded -- that is, create a negative incentive not to find a job. One argument I have heard and even made in favor of allowing poor immigrant workers to enter the US from Mexico, Central and South America, Asia, and Africa is that they perform work no American will perform. Perhaps a time like now we should send those people home or turn them away at the border and required the long term unemployed to take those jobs instead until the economy recovers.

Best Answer

Thank you for your thoughtful answer. I have to say though, Republicans have never wanted to extend benefits to the unemployed. My own state R have voted against it. <br /><br />
I would strongly suggest that everyone remember this at the polls.

Best Answer

The amount of time a person gets unemployment should reflect how long they actually worked at the job. That way those who were working towards a career are properly compensated and those who just worked the few weeks necessary to get unemployment don't get squat. <br />
Welfare should be handled the same way. Not just given to every drug infested single mom that walks in the door. At the very least they should earn their spot.

Best Answer

Sorry.. i am only answering your question because i saw no one does. I am Asian.. And your question is i guess only for those living in US.. goodluck..

Best Answer