just curious. I read a interest articles about homework, here's link if you want to: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/09/11/AR2006091100908.html
chronotigger17 chronotigger17 16-17, M 14 Answers Feb 17, 2010

Its not the quantity that is the issue, its the quality. Over the years my kids have brought home assignments that were little more than busy work and had no real educational value. Similarly, things that really counted were glossed over. So get rid of the busy work an assign homework that matters. In the same vein, recognize that there are some things that just have to be learned by rote (like multiplication tables) because there is no substitute.

Best Answer

technically speaking doing crossword puzzles and eating healthier will often be better for education than 99% of the homework that is assigned. If the brain cant soak in info then hw wont do much good.

Best Answer

school work should take place at school........

Best Answer

Considering most of my students rarely get homework, except in math, I think "reducing" homework is nearly impossible. Study hall is 30 minutes of hell every day because most of the kids have nothing to do and they won't read, and I'm sure as hell not going to assign busy work just to keep them quiet.<br />
What I really think needs to happen is that we stop lowering the standards. I don't think kids should have 6 hours of homework a night, but I DO think that they need to be encouraged (or forced) to study on their own time. There is only so much teachers can do during class time. You get out of an education what you put into it, and if you don't put anything in... is it any wonder kids can't read by the end of elementary school?

Best Answer

Homework is a time to consolidate what they have learned during the day. It is a chance to build up qualities such as being hard working, conscientious, motivated and independent. Those skills are really important in life.

Best Answer

homework is given to us because the teachers cant teach it themselves<br />
most of my homework is learning- it should be revising<br />
im ok with revising<br />
school=learning<br />
home=revising

Best Answer

When my kids were in school they only had about a half an hour of homework and 15 minutes of reading a day. Then in high school they only had maybe an hour of homework. I don't think that is too much homework at all.

Best Answer

everyone does homework at a different pace. Whats 1 hour to one student may be 1 week to a kid with adhd.

Best Answer

Repetition is the mother of all learning. I had the opportunity to compare assignments in the US to assignments made in other countries. There's a reason we lag behind in the US--we don't assign as much meaningful homework as many countries do.<br />
Notice I added meaningful. The assignments should be challenging and improve the student's understanding. While amount is less important than how effective the assignment is, the benefit of practice should not be underestimated.

Best Answer

Yes, knowledge should be learned by practice. :) Homework is a poor substitute for actual guidance by a mentor.

Best Answer

I think the American school system is messed up all together. So yes.

Best Answer

only if we make the rest of it required and worth a grade

Best Answer

the answer is always yes!

Best Answer