CrazyHappySad CrazyHappySad 22-25, F 28 Answers Jun 30, 2012

German shepherds are great. Besides common misconceptions, they are really nice if you train them right. I have grown up with them since the day I was born, and they have never ever been mean to me. They are highly protective of me and don't let any strangers come near me, whether I'm at home, in the car, or out and about. They're a guard dog breed but they also are a family pet.<br />
My neighbor has a Doberman and I love her too. Any of the dogs you said would work too.

Best Answer

i like both of the ones you mentioned too. i'm trying to figure out which one would be a great fit for me, u know?

Best Answer

Well, German shepherds you have to do a lot of research with. American German shepherds can have bad hips. My parents had to out their puppy down when she was only 3 months old because her hips were so bad already that she couldn't walk up stairs. My two are imported and from the Schutzhund line and flown over from Germany. They're way more expensive, but haven't had any health problems and they are 7 and 11.
Do you want a dog who will get on the bed with you or just a guard dog?

Best Answer

cuddle buddy and guard dog

Best Answer

Then I would suggest a German shepherd. Not because dobermans aren't nice, they are, it's just the 10 or so I've known have never been very social. Maybe it's just me, but that's just what I've seen.
The 7 year old one sleeps on my bed during the day and follows me everywhere. Lol, he's so cute.
And LadyJ, cool, I'll check it out!

Best Answer

Hmm thats probably why our dog growing up so good as a guard dog and family dog. It was the German sheperd in her. She too had health problems associated with Sheperds. She got arthritis at 13, it was so bad we had to put her down about a year later =(

Best Answer

I'm sorry, it's always sad to have to put a pet down.

Best Answer

We grew up with German Shepherds in my family, so I'm partial to them. Great with the family (even small children), but very protective of their owners if they have been trained right. With any of these dogs, proper training is essential as they are large dogs and have minds of their own...and you'll need to be able to control the dog.

Best Answer

One of our shepherds was incredibly smart...my father got her from a place which provided German Shepherds for films and TV (one of her litter mates was the star of a TV show called "Run, Joe, Run"). Loved that dog!

Best Answer

A trained guard dog. Doesnt matter the breed so much as it is TRAINED to guard you. I had one growing up. She was awesome, great with us kids and nasty to strangers. Trained to look to kill but not to bite. HOLD on to BUT not bite. And she was a mixed breed. German Shepard, black lab, sheltie collie. Miss her much =(

Best Answer

I think Pitbull mix, German Shephard, English Mastiff, King Dobe, or mixes of these.

Best Answer

alot of good advice here, husky's very mischivious, rotts and sheaperds both great but with large dogs comes large messes, get a bat or a good man, some of which even clean themselves and are still obedient

Best Answer

Huskies are pretty but useless. You can go with anything from Pitbulls ( but you need to have a strong personality for those ) Rottweiler, Dobermann, German Shepherds are wonderful 360°, or best of all I would recommend a Dogue di Bordeaux or an Italian Cane Corso

Best Answer

My mum-in-law had a rottie and it was so great for her since she lived on an acerage by herself. He was incredibly affectionate and friendly, but even just his intimidating looks was enough to stop people from crossing her. A good friend of mine had a beautiful German Shepard and it was the same (although much smarter than mum's rottie haha), very friendly, easily/well trained and enough of an intimidation that there was never an issue.

Best Answer

If you get a husky, get a female, they are generally more protective...but I grew up will all sorts..

Best Answer

Any of those would be fine... or even a German Shepherd.

Best Answer

If you're after protection, perhaps something sharp and pointy or something that fires bullets may be a better choice?

Best Answer

then i want a scary looking big dog.

Best Answer

Doberman does work!

Best Answer

While Rottweiler's and doberman's are good protection dogs they tend to be real aggressive and can have some challenges as far as being around friends and family. If they become to agitated they can even turn that aggression against their owner. I trained patrol dogs when I was in the service. Male German Shepard's are great dogs for protection but male dogs tend to be aggressive by nature. Female German Shepard's on the other hand bond to the family very well and are extremely protective of their owner and family. They are very tolerant of children and unlike a male tend to be attentive to children in their environment. I have seen males wonder off in disinterest while females will stay and watch children or other family. I witnessed a male GS bolt out of a house to attack while his mate the female stayed in the house. She absolutely would not let us enter the house (I was in law enforcement) we had no choice but to put her down to get in. In the house we found a 4yo child she gave her life to protect that little girl because she previewed us as a threat. Females tend to potty train easier. Once a male is neutered they tend to lose something and may become docile.<br />
Hope this helps.

Best Answer

Everyone is right german shepherds the dog to go w/ highly intellegent and highly protective. I own a pup myself hes changing at age 9mths. You go through alot of agrivation chewing ect. But about a year they change. Females are smaller butmore protective. Proper training required. Work with them.and they will work w/ you.

Best Answer

German Shepard's will protect the whole family and is less likely to bite you or your kids unlike some other breeds. Very affectionate and highly trainable.

Best Answer

I love pitbulls a brendal/red nose is the best breed I have found so far!

Best Answer

German Shepherds are really smart and really good dogs. They also look scary as sh*t.

Best Answer

Nothing scarier than a huge rough coat Chow Chow! NOBODY GET NEAR a "black bear"! They are the MOST LOYAL dog there is to their owner/family!

Best Answer

An akita or a german shepherd. I have had both for over 40 years, and neither will let you down. The akita is easier to train as far as housebreaking and overall manners around the house, but has stubborn and aloof tendencies. The shepherd works well with obedience training and is easier to socialize. Neither like to be left alone for long periods of time nor require great amounts of exercise. Both will shed, with the akita "blowing" it's coat twice yearly. The shepherd will bark much more often than the akita, as it functions as a perimeter guard. However, when the akita barks, you should always pay attention. The akita needs to be introduced to family and friends at an early age. This is not as important with a shepherd. Also as a final note, I concur with an earlier recommendation; acquire an import if you're purchasing a German Shepherd. The American GSD has been over-bred and there are far too many health problems, especially with hips.

Best Answer

those ones are good but also, Pitt Bull (sometimes), Malamute, Chow Chow a lot of working breed dogs would do fine... but one of the most practical is the german shepherd

Best Answer

akitas, rottweilers, pitbulls, even labs. most dogs can be trained to protect, and still be sweet to standers. you can even get a tough looking breed, such as rotties and dobermans, who are really just sweet hearts. pitbulls are good too but they require a lot of training. you could also look into a wolf-dog, the can be found in shelters and petfinder could help. i hope what ever dog you get you will show affection for, not just used for a body guard. good luck.

Best Answer