I mean there's no more evidence for the supernatural or paranormal claims of the bible or any religious book than there is for the existence of fairies or vampires or werewolves or well you name it. When you've already accepted something purely on faith instead of evidence how do you define your boundaries of what you will believe in?
Hirafu Hirafu 41-45, M 18 Answers Mar 5, 2013 in Religion

I don't know if you're trolling, but I feel this is a legitimate question.

The answer to which is, I chose. I believe in what I want to believe in.

And of course, I believe in things which there are evidence for.

Best Answer

I'm asking those who believe in gods how they then determine what else to believe in or not. As they've already chosen to believe in something for which there is no credible evidence, they just choose to believe on faith, then where and how do they draw the line when it comes to other things for which there is no evidence?

Best Answer

Yes, I believe in God. And the answer to you question, "Where do you draw the line?", is that it all comes down to personal choice. That's what faith and belief are.

Best Answer

I know it comes down to personal choice. I don't need to ask a question on here to know that. It's how you go about making those choices that I'm interested in.

Best Answer

Then i ask you if you think faith can be aquired /taught? Would you ignore things around you, things in the world, which perhaps another would consider a miracle? As WhateverFace said and the believers concede, it`s about FAITH. We don`t need to quantify it to your standards or acceptance. For us, it just IS.

Best Answer

How do you decide what you want to eat for breakfast?
It's not like there's a right choice. It's not like there's any evidence you can find about what you prefer. It's just your personal choice.

Best Answer

I haven't mentioned anything about right and wrong here. If you don't understand how you come to choose the things you do then you really don't understand yourself very well do you?

Best Answer

I do understand. It's not about understanding it's about what you WANT. WHY do you chose to have pancakes over waffles? Because you want too. It's that simple.

Best Answer

So you believe in a god only because you want to?

Best Answer

Yes. Obviously. Belief is a choice. I don't know how anyone could think it isn't.

Best Answer

In many societies and communities to choose not to believe or to choose belief in something other than the dominant mythology can cause a lot of issues for people. I'd say it would even be a pretty big issue for some in areas of the US.

Best Answer

That is a fact, yes. But I don't see the relevance? In those instance, people are still either choosing to believe or not to believe.

Best Answer

I'd say it's more a form of social conditioning that actual choosing to believe in many cases. Many kids grow up not knowing any real alternative. God is part of their reality from day one due to their parents. It's not really much of a choice in that instance.

Best Answer

Giving in to society/peer pressure is still a choice. There are people who choose not to. While they may not know of an alternative, they choose to continue as they are rather than find out.

Best Answer

Not many though. In say a small community in southern US you generally don't find many outbreaks of Islam or Buddhism. And in small towns in Pakistan you generally don't find too many Chrisitians. The god myth that people premdominantly believe is very much determined by where they are born.

Best Answer

Could you please not mock the flying spaghetti monster. ;)

Best Answer

Hey, I saw it on the internet and you can't put things there that aren't true. So there!

Best Answer

Agnostics like me neither deny or support the concept of a god. We're neither theists nor atheists.

Best Answer

What's that got to do with this question?

Best Answer

Gremlins. No way their real.. Right?

Best Answer

Faith is faith, i don't need evidence or proof... I believe the planet Mercury exist but I never seen it...

Don't work yourself so much about religion.. I know you don't believe, so be happy with that and let others be happy with what they believe...

Take care..

Best Answer

Most believe the sky to be blue so what's the difference between me and you? Perception.

Best Answer

I imagine theists set the threshold right around when an absurd claim starts and then ends giving them some warm fuzzy feeling.

Best Answer

And there is absolutely no evidence that there is also no "god" nothing that can be pointed to that says there a void of anything bigger, or more important then the consciousness of man. A persons faith is their faith. It need not be defended unless that faith causes them to do evil then they will be judged by that faith and by 12 peers.

Best Answer

It is impossible to prove something doesn't exist if it doesn't actually exist. I could tell you that I have a dragon in my garage. And no matter what test you use to try and verify it exists you find nothing. I have reasons why none of your test work though. So using everything at your disposal you can find no evidence whatsoever that my dragon exists in my garage. Do you believe that my dragon exists? What if I tell you that the dragon has told me we need kill all women who work. And let's say by now I have millions of people behind me who have faith in my dragon. Do you now believe in my dragon? You see this is the sort of thing you theists expect of others. Believe in this thing for which there is no evidence purely because we have faith it does exist. You pressure governments to make laws that respect your beliefs based on your mythological god. You make moral judgements about others based on your mythological god. Throughout history you have persecuted, tortured and murdered people in the name of your mythological god. So don't try and tell me that your faith is basically harmless and we should just accept it.

Best Answer

Hirafu.. But you see, I'm not looking for your dragon, If you choose to believe that your dragon exists, enjoy your dragon. If you believe that your dragon has commanded you to go and kill, you have the free will to decide to follow your dragons voice and to it's bidding, or you can open your eyes to the fact that your dragon doesn't have your best interest at heart and it might be a good practice to cast off the dragon and believe in something a bit more peace minded. Of course if you do follow your dragons commands, be prepared to suffer the consequences of "Your actions!" You need I don't have to prove anything exists or doesn't exist, I just have to live by the good graces of what I am spiritual lead to believe, because my free will understands the difference between good and evil. Now let us look at you, steadfast in your determination to diminish others faith. What is it that you can give us to allow us to see that your belief that nothing exists has merit and value to me that I may want to follow your belief in nothing. What proof can you provide that your nothing exists, As it certainly must you have such faith in it?

Best Answer

I feel the key words in your question is "credible evidence". So for one person what is evidence is for you hogwash and malarkey... That's the beauty of free will right :D? The beauty of living in a democracy and not my former country which was subverted under the Communist demagogy. Convincing an atheist of a God/dess is probably like trying to convince the people of long ago that the world was in fact round, when there was no "credible evidence".

Yes I believe, in who and what it is my business and I am 100% content in my beliefs, and their evolution :D. *bows*

Best Answer

Although I don't disagree, you can catch more flys with honey than vinegar. The biggest issue I have with religions, Ignorant bigotry, followed by shoving their beliefs down other peopl.s throats. I can't stand it, and it is not(in my opinion) the original intent of the the religions.

I realize this is most likely coming across as hostile and a personal attack on you're beliefs. I don't intend it that way, and apologize for my rashness. However, I do strongly disagree with your delivery of the subject matter. You have taken a progressive thought process, meant to help man kind prosper. You have taken these ideals, and you have warped with your own anger and bigotry, exactly as the religions of old. The way you sling these ideals at people with faith is like a the teens we see on tv screaming at there parents for not getting what they want.

I do realize parts of old religions need to be let go in order for some sciences to progress more quickly. But, what I perceive as the core value of religions is understanding and respect for your fellow man. If the disagree with you, accept it. Attempt to understand where they come from, not because this makes you weak or means you lack intelligence. But because humans a whole a capable of amazing things when start cooperative efforts.

Again, I do apologize if you feel this is an attack on you personally. It is not. Like I said it's the way you phrased your belief. I actually had a mental image of someone running around pointing fingers and screaming like a village idiot about how smart they are and every one else isn't. This is partly why It is so hard to talk to those with faith. Reaching a coexistence is not going to be that hard to accomplish. Attitudes and maturity needs to improve on both ends from what I've seen.

Best Answer

I honestly couldn't care less about your opinion of me. Asking people of faith where they draw the line on belief in things for which there is no evidence is hardly pointing fingers and screaming like a village idiot. It actually goes to the core of what faith, or more accurately credulity, is. I believe that credulity is one of the greatest issues with society today. People accepting things without any evidence is not a good thing. And much of the acceptance of credulity can be blamed on religion which relies on it. I understand why people turn to religions quite well but that doesn't mean I shouldn't get them to question their beliefs. What people like you don't seem to understand is there's a big difference between being tolerant and have respect. I tolerate theists and some of my best firends still believe in myths about gods but I don't respect their beleifs.

Best Answer

I'm just wondering why you feel it is your purpose in life to attack people in their beliefs and interrupt their happiness? What have they done to deserve your spite?

Best Answer

Also, your question was never my issue, the way you worded it was. If you ever want any real change, then stop being so cynical with whatever group you trying to influence.
    Think about it, how successful would a salesman really be if he told you your life is completely wrong, buy whatever I say because I say so. . . That would be asking your customer to have faith in the salesman that whatever you have is better than what they currently did.......
   Are you asking all of us to have faith in you then?

Best Answer

I only ask people be more skpetical and reasoned in their beliefs. Credulity is not a good thing in society and religions make it out ot be some sort of virtue under the guise of faith. Believing in things for which there is not a shred of credible evidence is not a good thing. If you do it for some god I'm interesting in how much is pervades your whole life. If you believe in some mythical god then what else are you prepared to believe in without any evidence whatsoever to support that belief?

Best Answer

I "think" most just keep returning to their first impressions of how good those stories made them feel. After awhile, any attempt to articulate those feelings outside of said stories inflicts damage to those "good impressions" which is why most condemn any kind of questioning of their faith. I mean I get It, I just don't understand the doctrine of forcefully imposing those unquestioned beliefs to the point of killing people and starting wars. I seek truth, question everything and prefer to remain the only sufferer of my knowledge.

Best Answer

it's the fear of not having something to believe in. for those who believe in god, I think it is a need to have a place to lay blame and be absolved of what they consider sins. for other religions, it varies by the actual beliefs. for me im somewhere in the middle of it all...I don't believe there is an all knowing god floating above my head just waiting to smite me should I step out of line. makes no sense to me that there would be such an entity. if there were I would have been smited into cinders by now. but I believe because of my own personal evidence, that some aspects of other belief systems are true. now as far as fairies go..if I ever come across one I shall pretend it never happened lest I end up in the soft happy room. you make a great point about defining boundaries....I find it hard to understand how someone can reach over the lines of logic to believe ,on faith alone, in an invisible entity capable of smiting them yet consider the possibility of the other myth based entities you listed to be mythical.

Best Answer

Credible evidence.

Best Answer

any thing else besides religion when it is not backed up by evidence

Best Answer

wow, you seriously need to reconsider that, i mean ok, you don't believe in God i get it, but why the hatred ? i mean, you know that someday you will die and you don't know what will happen to you, and come on, no evidence, everything around us isn't evidence enough ?

Best Answer

Hatred?... What hatred?

Best Answer

No hatred in this question. It's simple. If you believe in one thing for which there is no evidence, then where do you draw the line when it comes to other things for which there is no evidence? How do you determine what you won't believe in?

Best Answer

dude the world, the sky, the mountains and seas, who created all that ?

Best Answer

Who says the sky mountains and seas needed a creator? You're asking a very loaded question and might not realize it.

Best Answer

so they just happened to be there ?

Best Answer

They happened to be there by the time we evolved a brain with enough comprehension to wonder about such, yes. As for how they got there? As a result of the big bang expansion.

Best Answer

and who created the seed that generated the big bang ?

Best Answer

You're asking the same loaded question again...our understanding of many concepts break down when dealing with the big bang singularity. For instance, creation requires cause and the passage of time, yet time started with the big bang. Asking who created the big bang is not only loaded, it's nonsensical. No studies have shown a higher being needed for the big bang, many physiscts believe our universe didnt need a cause, and came from nothing. NOT the philosophical concept of nothing, non existence, no.

Best Answer

omg are you listening to yourself ????! so believing that there's a creator is nonsensical while believing that this whole big, wide universe and everything in it just happens to "be there" makes tons of sense ? ok what about non-physical stuff, what about languages, feelings, emotions, etc... loaded question.... God help you

Best Answer

I think you misread. Asking who created the big bang is nonsensical. Does it make sense to say some invisible god with infinite power thought everything into existence? You're only solving one mystery by introducing another more complex mystery.

Best Answer

and does it make sense that everything is just there then ?

Best Answer

No that's why we developed the scientific method as a way to determine what is most likely to be true in our reality. So that we could make sense. And we have not found any real evidence for any creator or need for a creator, much less god with a capital G.

Best Answer

meh, i'm tired of arguing people like you but idk, does your science explain feelings ? ok things are made up of atoms, where did those come from in the first place ? the numbers, who gave us the numbers ? who created the zero and the one ? who created the circle ? the point ? the straight line ? i'm not denying science but you also can't deny that there'a creator, anyway, believe in whatever $hit you believe in, and I believe in God, end of story.

Best Answer

Who are people like me exactly? Someone who utilizes rational thought? Uses logic wisely? I mean this isnt an arguement, you're using the arguement from ignorance fallacy, which is basically, well we can't explain it, therefore god. Can you explain where god came from? Who created god? Who gave god infinite power? Of course you cannot explain any of that, nor can you ever demonstrate their is a creator. Yet you believe anyway. Me, I care about the truth and actually require evidence before I believe ancient claims.

Best Answer

I love the way people seem to have this need to turn to the supernatural and paranormal to fill in either gaps in their own knowledge of the world around them or gaps in scientific knowledge. Also there seems to be this idea that just because we can't explain everything now scientifically there's no possible way we could ever explain it. Considering how far our knowledge of the world around us has come since the days things like the bible were written imagine what our knowledge will be in another 3000 years? At least with science we never stop questioning, our knowledge only ever increases. With religion people stop thinking and questioning and still think people from 1000's of years ago knew more about the world around than we do now!!! Utterly ridiculous.

Best Answer

You got that right.

Best Answer