socialfail socialfail 31-35, M 5 Answers Dec 19, 2011

Usually people that accuse other people of having a chip on their shoulder are seriously envious of other people and trying to find some way of smashing them down. Don't feel too bad. You probably outsmarted them and they can't stand it. A chip on one's shoulder is a sign of courage. chow.

Best Answer

I have been told that I have a chip on my shoulder, lol. It is frustrating because as you can see by the answers already given, it can mean different things to different people. Generally it means you have an attitude problem. <br />
People with attitude problems don't know that they have an attitude problem. That is what makes it so hard to fix. I personally have been told that I have an attitude problem or "a chip on my shoulder" more often when I was younger but it still happens these days. The thing is, it always happens when I think I have a good attitude. I think in most cases it goes away the older you get. I hope so anyway.

Best Answer

Thanks so much for responding and understanding where I am coming from. I wish i would have gotten more feedback from the person who told me, I cant wait for my insurance to kick in. My attitude and outlook on life are ruining me, just wish there was an answer or solution.

Best Answer

It means you have a attitude problem and hangup this is not a compliment and therapy and talking about what bothers you could help fix this just try to be cheery and your chip on your shoulder would go away lol goodluck:)

Best Answer

thanks, i knew it was some sort of an insult but urban dictiony isn't always the most accurate.

Best Answer

translation : Your holding on to an issue that needs to be resolved .

Best Answer

you're 26-30 and don't know this colloquialism, either you're sadly uneducated or trying to troll (very badly btw) lol. But to give you the benefit of the doubt, to have a chip on your shoulder means to be carrying a grudge against something or someone it is not something that can be "fixed" unless you visit a psychologist, which would be a bit extreme.

Best Answer

I think you're trying to troll. That is a pretty rude thing to say, and I don't know how being educated or uneducated has anything to do with old sayings. What if this person has a masters degree in physics? I haven't studied physics but I am pretty sure that "old slang and sayings" doesn't come up in the curriculum. Calling someone uneducated simply because they haven't heard a saying that was common many years ago but isn't so common now, is going a little far don't you think?

Best Answer

Thank you fatalcharm. I actually do have a post grad education. And chip on a shoulder was never covered in 7 years at the university. lol. I ignored the comment cuz i figured he was trolling. thx

Best Answer

no, it is an extremely common saying and is used everyday in all manner of publications. To be unaware of it strongly suggest either a troll question or a bad education. In this case someone who has probably never read for pleasure.. I do not troll. I do not see that my answer was insulting unless the reader of it decided to be insulted. :P

Best Answer