The story quoted is just an example, in that kind of scenario and scenarios like it, do you believe it is demonstrating sportsmanship to let a disabled person win simply because he/she is disabled? Do you think it is rather condescending to let someone win because you feel bad for them? Link to quoted story - http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/middle-school-wrestler-lets-boy-cerebral-palsy-win-222254658.html
SilenceEvermore SilenceEvermore 22-25, T 8 Answers Dec 4, 2012 in Hobbies

It would suck to be the person up against someone with any kind of handicap. Yes, it's condescending to let them win, but it's almost like if you don't, everyone thinks you're a jackass.

Best Answer

yes, it is condescending and I don't agree with it.

Best Answer

Hahahah brings me back

Best Answer

C'mon, a middle school wrestling match isn't the Olympics. He gave up a victory to one who appreciates it far more. It's not not like it was state finals. That would be pushing it.

I view stories like these as societal progress. Once upon a time not so long ago those with disabilities were segregated from everyone else, thrown into asylums and such.

Best Answer

I'm 50/50 on this one. Hard to call.

Best Answer

I have mixed feelings about things like this. "Girl takes mentally disabled boy to prom" is another one I've seen floating around. I wonder if they are trying to make a statement through their actions ("look good"), or if they are genuinely trying to do a good thing.

Best Answer

I think it is very condescending. It also shows them that they don't really have to make an effort to get what they desire. Then they get out in the world and it is a whole new ballgame. Not fair to them or anyone.

Best Answer

i suppose to everyone else it matters because we are assuming that there should or should not be something wrong with this scenario but in actuality it only really matters to the kid and that wrestler ... i dont really see it as anything wrong so long as it doesnt impede on his ability to continue trying and give him a false sense of ability or courage

Best Answer