Anyone else feel the same way? Does hearing certain songs bring back memories and feelings to you?
AliceThroughTheLookingGlass AliceThroughTheLookingGlass 31-35, F 8 Answers Jul 28, 2012

I think you are on to something.<br />
I get the impression that music is lodged in an older part of our brains than language, so closer to the oldest part, the part that remembers smells. <br />
Have you ever heard recordings of the old, old languages that are dying off in remote parts of the world these days? Of course, some have clickings and such, but they sound like singing.

Best Answer

For me I know that music, music triggers a ton of memories and emotional memories. For example in high school I was on a date, heard a "kiss from a rose" in the movie. Every time I hear that song, even many years later, I think of that kid, the movie, the ride home, what direction the movie screen faced, (and that theater is torn down now.) everything. Always vibrant memories too. Very detailed.

Best Answer

Yes. I remember actively changing images I associated with a song at the age of seven because I liked the song, but I initially associated it with a crazy kid in my school carpool. Forty years later and when I hear it, it brings back the pleasant memories of a certain brick architecture at sunset, the temperature and season, the smells of dinner cooking... Oh, yes, I have a really good idea of what you mean.

Best Answer

I can relate, that's exactly why I can't stand listening to music that reminds me with past relationships and close people who passed away. And yep it does bring back feelings and memories. and maybe you just have your sense of hearing stronger than your sense of smelling, like in here.

Best Answer

Hearing a certain record and I can be instantly transported to another time :)

Best Answer

your nose is a time machine to your brain triggers previous places where you smelled tha flower ect ect

Best Answer

I am very much aware. Without being wordy, music does the exact same thing for me. And my memories that are trigger by music are vibrant and clear. In a lot of the memories I can tell exactly which direction I was facing at the time. Very strong memories triggered by music.

Best Answer

Both are true :)<br />
i remember one time i was in a walmart and I smelt something that reminded me of my fiancee and i looked around for him.<br />
Also a song can make me remember fun things i did as a teen :)

Best Answer

Most definitely...what would you do if you were deaf???... I'd hate it :(

Best Answer

music is so primally soothing..like such an essential element

Best Answer