sosadallday sosadallday 46-50, F 11 Answers Feb 20, 2012

I am poor. I live in NYC, in the middle of Manhattan. It took guts and trouble, and I have to live in a 10 x 12 room in a building mixed up with all kinds of people, from wonderful to bad. You have to decide what you want, and you need. If you have a car, NYC is not for you. If you cannot have a car, don't move somewhere with lousy transit.<br />
I have seen every contiguous state in the USA, and I assume you are writing about USA. I found my best bargains in Miami Beach, and in San Francisco, and here in NYC. I could do it elsewhere, but I know less. How I did it: I lived in hotels instead of apartments. I lived in rooming houses, too. <br />
You pay for plumbing and for privacy. You pay for location, but one can get to a general location if it is urban quite easily. One can opt to live in a less-popular part of any town. And that is where all the good stories are, anyway.<br />
If you don't have a car, look up "Best Cities to Walk in" for a guide to easier living. Often, these correlate with affordability, after all said and done. <br />
I will end by saying that my share of my subsidized rent is $241 per month. That includes basic cable. When I last lived in San Francisco, in the Tenderloin (and also in SoMa), I paid from $800 per month to about $400 per month. The TNDC list of SRO (apartment hotels) is a good resource for the person who has no chance of a subsidy. The rent is set at rates from 400-700/month, depending on the building. Other cities have such types of decent housing. peace

Best Answer

wow, that's smart. Too bad I can't STAND cities- I need to be near nature- as in have it walking around my yard. I need to be able to have a car since i can't walk far due to health probs &amp; pain. I'll pass on the info to my daughter- she's actually looking for a place in NYC.

Best Answer

I am a single woman who is on a fix income that looking for a city to relocate in. I receive ssdi check and looking for an nice apatrment in American only.

Best Answer

i have two childrenn 11 and 14. i am on section8 and receive ssi and ssdi. i am looking for a decent place to move my family to. preferrably south.

Best Answer

Northern Idaho, low cost rent,nice people,low food costs, clean air,wide open spaces(closest city where I'm at:27000pop) oh and the land is cheap if looking for that, and we actually have freedom out here<br />
I'd be happy to show you around anytime you want to

Best Answer

douwant2rock- what's the temp like there? winter summer etc. average of course- and what about snow? I can't shovel (bad back)

Best Answer

we actually get all four season's here. Spring is usually around 50-60 average,Summer about 75-80avg, Fall between 40-70(depends on where your at. and winter gets snow and about 20-32 on avg. There are plenty of kids who will shovel walkways for cash(cheap too). some winters snow in the lowlands is about 8-10" and the mountains about 6-8'(ft) smoetimes higher

Best Answer

and plenty of room :)

Best Answer

homeless shelter

Best Answer

been there done that- trying to avoid that ever again. They treat you like you are in a freakin jail!

Best Answer

problem with todays society, if you have no money your not worth saving, sad! san diego is not a place to go as it cost's a fortune to stay alive, midddle us or teas i heard is cheaper, but damn the weather sucks.

Best Answer

you got that right- the most important thing i needed to learn they never taught us in school- how to make MONEY!

Best Answer

making money isn't hard, it's finding the right place to do it in, so many on line ways to do, outside places too, problem is making a living and being able to deal with politics in workplace, try on line first, some doctors use at home type workers for billing and documentaion, only jobs outside are fast food or oither types like it, no way to make a living, jons kids used to take are taken by grown people(paper routes, fast food and store baggers) try government options, ever seen the guy on tv where he sells book on government ways to make a living, it's true, some schools you can do on line, loans that you don't have to pay back if you meet guidelines, illegal aliens and other use them why shouldn't you, i forget the guy and book,ut i'll research if you like, don't give up!

Best Answer

I'm looking for that place, too. Presently, Central Florida, and some parts of Texas are good bets. You can do some research online, and find out what places are like, and what the cost of living is.

Best Answer

I couldn't take the texas heat- they get 115 degree days in summer and last summer it was over a hundred for months. I get heart palpitations/chest pain/ trouble breathing when it gets hotter than 85

Best Answer

Not sure, but I know they make up lists every year. Try googling it. But offhand I'd say outside any major city for a start. Possibly a state with no income tax.

Best Answer

Wow. I looked up the average rent around here because of another question last week and I think it was over $2,000 per month.

Best Answer

I can't afford even half that.- on a fixed income

Best Answer

A trailer park?

Best Answer

I'm trying to avoid those since i can't stomache trailer trash.

Best Answer

Hmmm... how about one of those huge shipping containers? I hear they can be made in to homes..

Best Answer

There are trailer parks that are for people who are 50+. They are well maintained, and have regulations in place to ensure that the parks are nice, healthy retirement communities. It wouldn't hurt to check it out.

Best Answer

flowerchild,I like that idea- but how do you find a place that will allow them on the land &amp; how expensive is it to convert them into a home?

Best Answer

chicago

Best Answer

Really any place that fits your income.

Best Answer