I'm not a parent, but IMO most parents (including mine) tried to take care of their children in other ways too, even though nobody does it perfectly. Some are more into teaching good moral values, and others are more into building self esteem. Recently I've run into some self-help attitudes that say everyone (including children) has to take care of themselves, and that it's nobody else's job to make sure anyone else is nurtured (even as children).
GreenButtercup GreenButtercup 36-40, F 12 Answers Jun 23 in Parenting & Family

i think it should be more than taking care of their physical needs

Best Answer

Me too - because they are not merely physical anyway.

Best Answer

A parent(s) is to love their child because it comes naturally. We try to teach our children to be individuals, to be able to take care of yourself, know right from wrong. To have a job and to rise to better jobs for a strong sturdy life (grooming) to be respectful and love yourself or others will just walk all over you. To have your own and not to take something that doesn't belong to you. For when you have struggles in your life it is good to reach out for help not handouts. Its okay to cry and be sad, but stand up tall and keep that head up high, but don't get to full of yourself, but always have confidence. It's not a job... It just comes naturally because we love our children and want the best for them. We take care and love our children so they can love and take care of themselves with confidence and respect.

Best Answer

It is my job to teach my children all of the things I can and to encourage them to learn all they can. If nothing else teach them to live with honor and integrity. I may not leave any other mark on this world but I can ensure that each of my children is is someone I would admire. MY mother managed to allow each of us to believe we were her favorite. If we can do that and have fun along the way we all win.

Best Answer

You are responsible for providing them with everything they need physically and spiritually. You are a role model. Be the best you can be.

Best Answer

Yes, it's a very serious job.

Best Answer

24/7/365 and the hardest, too but at the same time the most rewarding :-)

Best Answer

No, not just physically ... but emotionally and mentally as well - a child NEEDS these things in order to grow up into a healthy functional adult. If these needs aren't met as a child then it can often lead to problems as an adult.

Best Answer

Parents can (and should) do what they can to aid their children in all dimensions of their development.

Best Answer

Parents in the present time have to provide much more than physical care, because our world is so competitive, only the smartest people can survive.

Best Answer

Good point! How much yogurt did you eat at that picnic, anyway?

Best Answer

OF COURSE! Most people think parenting is providing clothing, housing and food. Those people should not have children.

Best Answer

I got some really nice, well thought-out and insightful comments on this one! Thanks, everyone.

Best Answer