My daughter is almost 13, is an awesome athlete, an A student, and has tons of wonderful friends. She is carrying around about 20 lbs too much for her frame right now. Because she is an athlete, she is always active and I feed her healthy food but when she is with her father (we have 1/2 time, shared custody) he procrastinates and always takes her for fast food. The extra weight is beginning to cause her some self-esteem issues. Any suggestions?
robylynne robylynne 31-35, F 6 Answers Jul 5, 2011

Your self esteem issues or hers ?

Best Answer

Definitely not mine. I am EXTREMELY proud of the young lady she is becoming. It hurts to see her feeling insecure. She is really an amazing kid.

Best Answer

You have no idea what you are talking about. Please don't push your negativity onto me. My entire life revolves around my daughter. I am concerned about the fact the SHE has been expressing the fact that SHE is feeling insecure with her body.

Best Answer

Talk to your ex husband and explain the situation to him. If he loves ypur daughter like you do he will stop buying her junk food. Best of luck.

Best Answer

Some children or teenagers generally just have a large fr<x>ame, if this is the case there isnt much you can really do, it may be difficult for her to do this but it may be important that she stays away from fast food because if it is often then most likely this will be the case. If it is really getting to her then go to the GP's, they wont offer drugs but advice that can be very benificial.

Best Answer

If it was up to me 100% she would never eat fast food (or very rarely, at least.) I hesitate to take her to the Dr. for this reason because I don't want her to think I find her unacceptable in any way. I struggled with an eating disorder when I was slightly older than she is now. I know how just ONE poorly worded comment or insinuation can negatively affect a young woman.

Best Answer

Trust me, i completley understand where you are coming from. Well have you thought about talking to you ex partner about this? Are you scared more of her feeling insecure or her getting an eating disorder? More then anything its important that you try your best to make her feel happy with herself, new hairstyle maybe dye her hair new clothes all of this to really try boost her confidence, this isnt usually the way to go but with this society, im a teenage girl myself and i know how low self esteems are there horrible, but when all this happens it makes you feel amazing, this is important for your daughter, otherwise she may start turning to more fatty foods for comfort as a lot of teenagers do, id suggest a confidence boost! I really hope everything works!!

Best Answer

Thank you. I appreciate getting the perspective of a teenager

Best Answer

She's 13; she'll probably grow out of it. In any event, there are worse things in the world.

Best Answer

Yes, I realize that but to a 13 year old girl it's a pretty big deal.

Best Answer

Have a talk to her dad - if hes the sort that will listen. 0therwise I'd say go the confiedence boosting way as TinkerbellaMay suggested.

Best Answer