Can anyone with a similar experience please advise me on telling the children of my widower partner that we are in a relationship? The children (boys,) range in age from 14 to 7 and I already know them in a professional capacity. I'm not sure how to make the transition from that to a personal relationship with them. Their dad and I are crazy about each other and he wants to tell the boys that he is in a relationship soon. Any idea what I can do to soften the blow? Of course I never intend on replacing their fabulous mother, with whom I became good friends a few years before she passed away. I've no doubt that my boyf still loves her, especially as the mom of his children and that doesn't bother me at all. In fact, I fully expect that he does and would be concerned if he didn't. If anyone has had a similar experience and can advise me, it would be great. Thanks.
Flionn Flionn 70+, F 4 Answers Feb 11 in Dating & Relationships

Have they not been around when the 2 of you are together? Slowly incorporate yourself into their daily lives. A dinner here...a movie there (together). Eventually they will realize that you are there to stay. Give them time to accept each step. Springing it on them all at once could doom the relationship.

Best Answer

I bet your just apprehensive and they will be perhaps surprised or not,.. but they are already fond of you.

Best Answer

It's thei fathers job to tell them about the relationship, not yours. I'm a widower and I know what I'm talking about. He should be the one to carry the message; they'll have questions you can't answer and they won't want to ask you.

Best Answer

I know it's his job and he knows that too, am just wondering if there's anything I can do to make it a bit better for them?

Best Answer

Not until he's done. If they have questions for you, simply answer them.

Best Answer

Thanks red

Best Answer

Im curious first how long ago did she pass?

Best Answer

A little over a year ago

Best Answer