These days it seems like you can't say anything without offending SOMEBODY!! And in America we have FREEDOM of speech. Not FREEDOM TO NOT BE OFFENDED!!

Best Answer

Your understanding is duly noted

Best Answer

I find the more open I am- I am either met with condescension, erroneous “advice”, pep talks to “just shake it off” or denial that mental illness is in fact an illness. My “favorite” and I’ve heard it a lot is some variation of, “how can you be bipolar. You are an attorney. You have a family. You’re kids are so great, etc.” as if my condition is mutually exclusive to living a life. I have probably been sick since I was six and misdiagnosed at 20 (only depression- who gets help when they’re up and manic and productive?) As a consequence of years of self-medication (alcoholism) hospitalizations, medication roulettes and a plethora of therapists I have come to accept that I will always have a tenuous grip on wellness at best. I get defeated but keep creeping along for my amazing husband and our extraordinary kids. My point, I used to think the more I told people the better it would be for all mentally ill. The truth is the only ones who listen are salacious gossips or envious people who want my “picture perfect” world to collapse. I quit being an advocate. The people who love me are all that matter and I am done explaining myself beyond EP- where with anonymity I may actually empower someone. The rest can kiss my pimply white ***.

Best Answer

Seriously- even if one person was comforted I'll have a better today- Thanks for the BA

Best Answer

im kind of hoping with time, people will become more tolerant of mental illnesses. and everything else really. back in the day ppl with mental illnesses were treated as crazy and were mistreated very much. someday we will be past that if people open their minds

Best Answer

I completely agree... There are people out there who are still very closed minded about it.. I would like to make the people in my town realize that its not 'embarrassing', or 'attention seeking', but an actual real problem. there have been far too many suicides in my area lately. id like people to feel as though they can ask for help without being judged by people who dont understand.
ive started trying to speak out, and have actually got quite good feedback! im just looking for more ideas on how to do so.

Best Answer

there will always be some people who refuse to understand, and i'm finding you can't make them. so only focus on the ones who can. they are worth it and so are you. good luck

Best Answer

i don't think it's offensive at all to raise awareness about mental illnesses. lots of families deal with loved ones in this way so it's helpful to continue with the campaigns to make people understand how important support for people with mental illnesses (and their families) really is. i'd be surprised if anyone here doesn't know someone either in their circle of friends or family who isn't affected by mental illness.

Best Answer

Hell everyone is crazy to some degree,,,,I'm simply not qualified to say if someone has mental issues or not,,,,but my gf is off the chain,,,,lol

Best Answer

Why on earth would talking about mental illness offend anyone ?

Best Answer

umm its hard to explain..
where im from, people tend to not express themselves as much as they should. a lot of people i know would prefer to ignore it all, than to try to understand it..
if that makes sense?

Best Answer

I get what you mean but those people aren't worth the effort . I can understand denial and I've seen how misunderstood mental illness is , even on here people are clueless but being offended is a whole different story .

Best Answer