NOTE: THIS QUESTION IS NOT LIMITED TO A SPECIFIC GROUP! ANYONE CAN ANSWER THIS QUESTION! An interesting thing that I thought of today when someone asked me what my favorite show/film. Now, I've always been an advocate for not being obligated to something because for the color of your skin, so I babble in things that I wouldn't think I'd like. Now, I couldn't come up with an answer immediately (that's a entirely different discussion), so when I came home, I looked through my DVD and iTunes for my favorite anime/tv shows/movies, etc. So, I made a discovery that a lot of the african american material that I really enjoyed were the Spike Lee's, the Cosby's and the Fresh Prince's. You know, retro stuff. Then, I was thinking, "are there any shows with blacks today I enjoy on the same level or could be considered new classics?" The most of what I see today are reality shows and I don't mess with those. There are some today that are...okay, but some that are just...not. Thoughts on this?
ItsJustZ ItsJustZ 18-21, M 7 Answers Nov 2, 2012 in Movies & TV

I liked Everybody hates chris :)

Best Answer

bernie macs show was hiliarious imo. I also don't see a lot of strictly black shows, so their might be less. Maybe african americans want to see a show with all races today, maybe that might be a reason. I also don't see a lot of "family" shows, which would result in an all white or all black cast. Seems reality tv and cop shows have taken up the airwaves.<br />
--white guy

Best Answer

I liked his show too. He made being angry endearing somehow

Best Answer

It'd be nice to see some more black and non-white protagonists in movies. Actually it'd be nice to see more minorities in general in the media.<br />
I'm a fan of Key and Peele, although I'm not sure if that counts as "black" because they're both biracial. I thought Adult Swim's Loiter Squad was hilarious, and I found Chris Rock's remake of "Death at a Funeral" to be actually almost as good as the original british one.<br />
I just want ONE ******* MOVIE, ONE! That i can point to and state with 100% honesty, that the character is played by a black actor does not mean he is A) the ONLY minority in the film. B) Dies before the third reel C) Acts "urban" and "hip" D) Is not clueless about any pop culture that isn't "urban youth" oriented.<br />
Sadly the closest movie I can find that does this was released in the 80s and it's called "George A. Romero's Dawn of the Dead". Not only is one of it's chief and ultimately surviving protagonists a black male, but he is the most level-headed, ingenious, and relatable characters. As the movie begins with the mostly white police trying to forcibly evacuate the ghetto, we see blacks, whites, hispanics, and immigrants fighting the police, thinking (not surprisingly) that the cops are trying to arrest people or kill them.<br />
Of course one fat white cop goes rogue after cussing up a storm of racist diatribes and goes apeshit shooting zombies and civilians alike. A white cop attempts to stop him but recieves no help from the other cops, a gas-masked cop finally puts the racist scum down. It's our Hero! He later removes his mask and....and...He's a Black guy????<br />
It's always at that point that I know how my fellow viewers feel about race. If they expected a white dude, they always look confused and roll their eyes. Almost as if they're disappointed. Thankfully the movie doesn't disappoint me and about midway through the movie, the guy's race is so far from our minds it's forgotten and there it stays until the end. Sadly the remake failed to capture the spirit and tension of the original, opting instead for cheap stereotypes, a hackneyed plot, and a completely maddening ending. <br />
But, It set the standard that I use from now on.

Best Answer

That's definitely a challenge...going by that criteria I could only think of "Waiting To Exhale", "How Stella Got Her Groove Back" and "Something Different" in terms of less stereotypical, but it doesn't sound like the genre you're looking for.

Best Answer

Don't get me started on the portrayal of women in media, that's a whole other bakll of wax...

Best Answer

I can't think of any current ones that I actually enjoy watching. A lot of the top "black" stars are now mainstream. There isn't much of the group specific stuff outside of the Tyler perry crap (while I did like Why did I get Married) and the "church" movie/ plays. Most of my movies are denzel washington movies. I watch Man on Fire a lot. I also like Pitch Black with Vin Diesel for some reason...but like I said. those are now considered mainstream rather than "black cinema"

Best Answer

I'd have to say the entire mass media is going through radical changes right now and has been for years. Reality TV was invented as a way to cut costs so broadcast TV could compete with cable. It's like game shows and soap operas which have dominated afternoon programming for ages simply because they were cheap to produce and afternoon viewers are fewer.<br />
Likewise after decades of cable and satellite providers gaining new customers every year they've stopped growing during the economic downturn and are now fighting with content providers who are demanding more money. If you've noticed even channels like the History channel have had to resort to cheap programming about things like "ancient aliens" that might attract new viewers. More people are also turning to internet streaming services for movies and whatnot and the pressure just keeps growing to cut costs.<br />
Last year video games outsold all the Hollywood movies combined for the first time. This is similar to the trend that occurred with music sales taking a nose dive and struggling to find new ways to sell and promote their products. There's just such a horrendous variety of content out there now and people only have so much time and money to spend on it they are beginning to pick and choose. It's very different from when I was a child and we had merely 3 TV channels to choose from, people would play the same records a thousand times, and we had pinball instead of video games.

Best Answer

*face palm*

Best Answer

I don't get it, are you upset that he asked about black tv or somethign else?

Best Answer

Nope, thats the surface of my opinion. Just waiting for someone to ask me what I really think?

Best Answer

Watch "Blacula" it'll perk you right up. It's got that old lady from the Matrix that died before they could finish the trilogy..only she's young.

Best Answer