http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324556304578122632560842670.html A work stoppage at twenty-three Hostess plants by the Bakery, Confectionery, Tobacco Workers and Grain Millers Union killed my Twinkies and Ho-hos. I am not happy. Striking against a new labor agreement when demand for your product is not what it once was is not smart. The Teamsters understood that and, to their credit, would not strike and worked with the Hostess to keep things rolling. Not so, the Bakery, Confectionery, Tobacco Workers and Grain Millers Union. Reminds me of the USW strike of 1974 in the town my family comes from. The company died, the plant was shuttered, now it has been completely razed, most of the workers have died of old age -- but don't worry, the strike is still in force -- in 2012. Oh, well.
TheSquirrel TheSquirrel 46-50, M 10 Answers Nov 16, 2012 in Hobbies

I like how our system of labour is built on the idea that if your job is to expensive to support the salaries of millionaires, its should not exist.

Best Answer

That was not the case here, but I have seen enough of that, too.

Best Answer

WE need another government bailout!! NOW!!!

Best Answer

I'd do it to save those lovely confections.. ummm

Best Answer

Start petitioning now!

Best Answer

Apparently, Wonder Bread was not too big to fail.

Best Answer

Twinkies are disgusting. Good riddance. Now we need to get rid of all the other junk food in America so we can solve the obesity epidemic.

Best Answer

I will pretend I did not read this heresy. No one is making me eat them. I love them.

Best Answer

No one is "making" you eat them, but I think giving them up would contribute to the greater good of not being the butt of all the other countries' jokes.

Best Answer

Other countries no longer have any reason to joke. Very few Western countries can claim a svelte figure as part of their national character, only the starving people can.

Best Answer

Would you like it if your boss took nearly 10% of your pay away from you and slashed your benefits? **** no. That's why people went on strike. You probably couldn't live on a pay-cut, and the owners bullied the union by shutting their doors instead of negotiating.

Best Answer

well stated.

Best Answer

Of course not. These bosses also suffered. Let me ask you: Would you like to no longer have a job at all because your pin-head union struck against a company that had filed for bankruptcy protection for the second time in as many yeas? Those Zero dollar paychecks go a lot farther than the 90% checks, I suppose.

Best Answer

You act like unions are Satan. Unions protect workers, and if you've been privelaged enough to never been treated like a ******* number, you wouldn't understand. As someone who worked in retail and was treated like complete and utter **** from bosses, and someone who worked long hours with **** pay, **** insurance, and zero respect, being protected actually means something. I'm not saying people who own businesses are greedy, but viewing unions as something other than protecting workers (like their pay and benefits) as a bad thing is 50 years behind workers rights. Having the right to negotiate is something that should be respected.

Best Answer

Nice deflection from my question. To respond to your accusation, they are Satan. I have been in or against the two biggest unions in the USA. In my lifetime, they have done more to protect 1) lazy idiots or 2) the interests of their own management than anything else. How many union stewards have I seen quit because they are sick of having to defend "those idiots"? How many more great workers refuse to consider becoming stewards because they don't want to have to put up with "those @ssholes"? Their words, not mine.

Best Answer

Yes, I would rather belong to a union that negotiated for reasonable pay and benefits. In my lifetime, I have seen my boyfriend have to bring in a union lawyer twice to protect himself from getting fired by asking "Mr. Carter, will you stop screaming the f-word at me and remove yourself from the classroom?" But I"m sure you think he's being a "lazy teacher". Or how about the time he drew a Physics example on the whiteboard with black marker and made black stick figures, and a group of kids claimed he was being racist? He pays $1,000 a year for insurance against the ridiculous teacher-hating system. People like you puke untrue facts about how teachers are lazy, greedy, and over-paid. ($40,000 a year is overpaid). I think teachers need therapists because they're so abused by parents. Your "lazy idiot" comment is so out of par with reality. If someone works hard in a company they should be making more than entry-level wages. They shouldn't be scared if they get sick on a Friday, they've been replaced by another warm body on Monday. Or if their boss doesn't like their face they'll be fired. This is my personal experience with unions.

Best Answer

No, I don't puke untrue facts. I was a teacher. I have seen some things. By the way, I did not make nearly $40K. Have to laugh about the black stick figures because my kids, about 75% black, would have laughed.

Best Answer

your arteries are thankful

Best Answer

Well there's always Crispy Creme Doughnuts

Best Answer

Unions would rather kill the company, and all become unemployed, than to accept the amount of pay the company can afford. My son once worked for GE jet engine factory. The union forced them to close and move production to Asia rather than to accept the company's offer to drop its thousands of "grievances" and keep their jobs. Unions are bad for everyone.

Best Answer

Change is needed to stop major Corps from enslaving us.

Best Answer

That corporation was not enslaving anyone. Those guys killed there own jobs AND the jobs of many others.

Best Answer