should hate be the opposite of care instead ?
justkinky justkinky 31-35, M 21 Answers Mar 11, 2010

You ask that like there is an actual answer. There isn't.

If opposite emotions are thought to be ones which are mutually exclusive then indifference is the opposite of all strong feelings and views, for the complexity of the human psyche allows for a variety of different combinations of dissimilar emotions.

Otherwise hate is certainly the most obvious contender for the opposite of love. Fear is another good one being as the combination of love and hate tends to be a common one, while it's difficult to love and fear someone or something simultaneously.

But then the same can be said of disgust. So, really, I don't think emotions have opposites--certainly not in the linear way in which we usually use the term.

Also, for the person who mentioned fear and courage being opposites, this is not true. Courage is in overcoming fear, not in not feeling fear (which can either be called wisdom or folly, depending on the context).

Best Answer

I think... the opposite of love is... no love... so, yes!

Either you love somebody or you don't. That sounds pretty much like opposites to me. And not loving somebody doesn't mean to hate him.

But I think the opposite of hate is indifference as well. I guess that goes for every emotion. You either feel that emotion or you don't.

Best Answer

Yeah, love and hate require emotions. Indifference would be a lack of that.

Best Answer

i think the opposite of love is fear.

Best Answer

Indifference is not an emotion per se, so it cannot be the opposite of one.

Best Answer

I completely agree

Best Answer

I agree Kinky

Best Answer

Finally someone with a rational mind on this. Been saying that for years. Thank you.

Best Answer

I agree. :) I am all about indifference.

Best Answer

The opposite of love is: rudeness, cruelty, pride, impatience, self-seeking, bragging, jealousy, keeps a record of wrongs, distrusts, hopelessness, delights in doing wrong, and is not happy with the truth.

Best Answer

i think the opposite of love is hate. If you don't love someone then maybe you hate her/him (someone you know..)

Best Answer

No I think indiffrence is you can take it or leave it. I do not hate or love my ex he is someone that I've met somwhere in life I can talk to him and his wife it does not bother me just like anyone else I see that I do not have a connection with.

Best Answer

Yes I think you're right

Best Answer

I actually agree. Love and Hate take so much emotion that they are pretty much the same.

Best Answer

Yes. Although the thought is not original, I very much agree.

Best Answer

I stand with you here. There is a fine line between love and hate. Both you feel passionatly. You have to care, or have cared, to feel either one.

Indiffence is just that. You don't care enough to feel a thing.

Best Answer

the activity of the brain is the same for love and hate...so yes you are correct. personally yeh i agree when no longer react the person either way....then you truly don't care.

Best Answer

I think the opposite of indifference is agreement. And the opposite of love is not careing or respecting.

Best Answer