That won't help solve the problem. The problem is not with the animals, it is with people who don't take care of them and abandon them. <br />
Spaying and neutering all strays may help the problem to a small degree, but people will continue breeding and dumping unwanted animals. <br />
We have to teach people to care for their animals or don't have any at all..and even then, people will STILL mistreat, abuse and dump their animals.

Best Answer

:( make getting a pet expensive, so you can only get one if you want it.

Best Answer

I think that's more about weeding out people who can't really pay to keep the animal healthy.

Best Answer

That, too. But let's say for example... A dog fighter... Do you think that a dog fighter would pay, 2,000 for a dog that may be killed the next day? I don't think so...

Best Answer

Nope. I don't know where they get their dogs from, but it's almost assuredly not from pet shops and such.

Best Answer

They get them from wandering the streets and shelters(they pay other people to fill out the paperwork and do all the shelter stuff). If they are no longer pets wandering the streets, and its going to be MORE expensive to get a pet from the shelter, they'll go away.

Best Answer

There's no way to stop that, in my opinion. Bad people will find ways to fund their immoral actions regardless of how many laws or attempts good people make to stop them.

Best Answer

Ughhhh, true that... Bad things always find a way to prosper and the good things get buried.

Best Answer

Such is the way of the world..doesn't mean we have to accept it though..just accept that bad is part of living in the world, I suppose.

Best Answer

I got nothing

Best Answer

We just rescued a pup. I live in the Arctic. Its fur was frozen to the ground. Weighed 9 lbs. You can only do what you can. The world's messy.

Best Answer

I think shelters are a good place, if I have a lost pet then I want him to go there so I can find him easily.<br />
This in my opinion is 2 fold.<br />
If you as a parent get a pet for your child, you now become responsible for that pet, if your child wont or cant look after it, it now belongs to you and you have to take responsibility for it. Dont just put it out, to the shelter or whatever.<br />
Secondly Chips, tags, tattoos etc should all be mandatory so I could find my list pet, I think a lot of people just think its convenient to LOOSE your pet and off they go.<br />
But I think shelters and putting down ba<x>sed on time in shelter is kind of a necessary evil.<br />
It truly breaks my heart but what else can we do?

Best Answer

I'm not trying to shut down shelters. Just greatly reduce the population.

Best Answer

Its only possible to reduce by education, Or mandatory spade, or license to breed, I dono, its a tough call.
People need to take responsibility for their pets too.

Best Answer

Killing the animals in shelters won't solve the problem. And, strays aren't that much of the problem either so spaying and neutering them on site won't help much either; it's the irresponsible pet owners who don't spay/neuter their pets. And, don't worry what other people think about your pet choice as long as you are responsible and spay/neuter it.

Best Answer

Plus, they didn't ask to be abandoned or born a stray.

Best Answer

Tough question...it's obviously peoples fault, not the animals.<br />
Maybe we should nueter them instead...

Best Answer

But, we need to get down the population first. I totally agree, too.

Best Answer

Every dog I've ever had has come from the pound. Usually about to be put down. Their in need of some luvin and I enjoy their company. Coming home with a pup is still saving a life.

Best Answer

I've never really thought much on this. Some shelters already do put down a portion of their animals, but I see you think they should put down more. That really all depends on what people think about these animals: Some animals like chickens and pigs, the majority may not care what happens since they are consumed for food. Typically, only people such as vegans and vegetarians would be concerned. Yet, you change the animal to a dog or a cat, and it suddenly becomes a bigger issue because we have decided to make them pets. There certainly is an overpopulation issue since there are more animals than there are people who want them, but I don't know if you can just go around putting down every animal you can. And it's not possible to find and spay/neuter every animal either. And after reading SilenceEvermore's answer, that kind of is what I am trying to state as well so I agree with them.

Best Answer

I know we can't spay and neuter allthe animals. But in my city, there are A LOT of stray cats and dogs...

Best Answer

Yes, there are an abundance of strays: but what do you do there? Just spay/neuter them, then dump them back onto the streets? Yes, that would mean there would be no chance of them reproducing, but those said animals would still be roaming the streets.

Best Answer

Yeah, but when they pass, there won't be a whole new generation waiting to sprout up, and rise again as stray king.

Best Answer

Well, this goes back to my original statement of how you probably cannot find every stray out there, so there will probably always still be strays. Until/unless people decide they will take care of these pets, they will remain.

Best Answer

There is no instant fix all, but I think if you mix everything together(S/N strays, raise the price, and make the animals in shelters less abundant...) we could start on the path of fixing the POPP problem.

Best Answer

Well, here's what I think on it: Spaying and neutering any animal is wise. Raising the price I'm not entirely sure on: Raising the price causes less people to have a pet, therefore causing more pets to either be homeless or in shelters. Plus, just because you are wealthy does not mean you are fit to raise a pet. You could be unfit irregardless of your financial status, plus there are other ways to obtain pets besides pet stores.

Best Answer

That's what we learn in economics class, to raise the price to lower the demand. I'm generalizing here, but I would think that the only thing a pet with a rich person would be human socialization.

Best Answer

Yes, I do see what you're talking about with supply and demand. I guess that would probably also go back to your original statement of wanting to get rid of any of the pets that are left over. But, also: there still is that one missing link I mentioned of there being other places BESIDES stores and shelters to get pets. Not much can be done about that part of it.

Best Answer

Enlighten me, Jaded. Where else can we get pets? Demm Screets?

Best Answer

Yes. Street type of trade/ owners who already have pets and have bred them. That is how puppy mills and dog fighting probably occurs. And those can't be stopped as easily as shutting down a pet store. It takes legal action for those.

Best Answer

LONG jail sentence for it. If they catch you, you gone for about 20-30 years. Or we can give them an incentive for NOT doing it.

Best Answer

Well, it's like with other things out there such as weapons or drugs: If people cannot afford store prices, or if they are illegal, they will find other ways of obtaining these things even if they risk getting caught. People who do dog fighting and puppy mills already get legal trouble if caught, so they have already decided to risk it anyways. People who are going to do bad, will risk it. If you are saying you want it to be illegal to get a puppy that is not from a shelter, or a store, I find that is only going to cause issues. It would most likely cause an issue like with the drug dealing that occurs.

Best Answer

At the rate animals breed, the shelters would soon repopulate. I don't know what the solution is. Charging more for shelter animals will not help because it is too easy to get animals in other ways. In the future there may be advances in birth control methods/sterilization applied to animals and maybe licenses required to breed or something. As long as there is financial incentive to breed and sell pets and the cost of sterilization is high, there will be an over-population problem.

Best Answer

I hate that animals are put down because they have no room- I'm pretty sure orphanages don't do that. But puppies are just fine, you're still saving a life, and it's wonderful to watch them grow up. Those people really don't get it, do they?

Best Answer

Because, orphanages don't have as much business.

Best Answer

They still don't euthanize kids- it'd be considered monstrous.

Best Answer

I think people should get over it and just shoot these damnd things. Their creating the problem for themselves.

Best Answer

so youre saying to kill the sheleterd animals?? im not so sure I agree with your assumptions, user.

Best Answer

Why not?

Best Answer

puppies are cute, but they're not house trained. and in a few months, they won't be puppies anymore. generally, it is a better choice to get a grown up dog, one who already understands how the pack works, one who's already house trained, and who is less likely to trash your couch. <br />
problem with puppies is, people get them thinking they're stuffed, cute and quiet. and they're not. are you really ready to clean puppy poo all the time?

Best Answer

But, what if I want the experience of doing all that stuff with my puppy.

Best Answer

get one from the shelter ;) and promise the puppy you'll be patient :) and good luck!

Best Answer

What if they don't have the puppy I want? What if I don't want a puppy with any diseases or syndromes.

Best Answer

I disagree with your argument. Don't kill all the existing animals.
BUT---why do you say a silly thing like "...everyone is like (lol) go to shelters,etc...."
When you become an adult, you do what YOU want...there is no ' everyone'.....

Best Answer

Generalizing, sir/madam.

Best Answer

that's my point, Don't generalize, you (seem) are smarter than that. ( also a puppy a t your young age could be problematic.. you'd have no life, as you'll always have to run home to let the dog out,etc. And, you can't take a dog to college with you! ya know?

Best Answer

Lol, I am fourteen. I was using the arrows keys on the select age and went right past it and didn't gave attention.

Best Answer

People are the problem. Some get pets and then realize they have to actually take care of it and send to to the pound or some idiots just release them. Killing all and starting over is a pointless temporary solution... we as people will just mess it up again.

Best Answer

After we kill them... We raise the price of getting a pet, and only the people that want them really bad and intend to love and care for them, will dish out the cash to own their loving little (or big) all of fur.

Best Answer

Leggy, even rich people know how to spend money. If a pet cost 2,000 for a runofthemill dog, and they don't intend on loving it, they won't buy it. Hopefully.

Best Answer