Post
lavenderorchidgirl lavenderorchidgirl 26-30, F 8 Answers Dec 18, 2011

Your Response

Cancel

I am a registered nurse working in postpartum, <br />
Both young women and older women have healthy and sick babies. Recently a 45 year old gave birth to a very healthy baby girl. A couple of years ago a 22 year old delivered a baby boy with Downs syndrome.<br />
It is true that as a woman ages so does her risk of delivering a baby with a chromosomal problem, but the odds remain very, very low.<br />
For example a 40 year old has a 1% chance of a baby with Downs, that means she has a 99% chance of a healthy baby. conversely a 18 year old has a 0.000001% chance of a downs, a 99.9999% chance of a healthy baby<br />
My point being that yes the risk does go up with age but it is still an extremely small chance, in other words an older mom is far more likely than not to give birth to a healthy child.

Best Answer

I had my one and only when I was 38 and he was a healthy little bugger.

Best Answer

congrats for the wonderful gift god has given u

Best Answer

Well thank you. :) That gift is now 24 years old and I'm a grandma. :D

Best Answer

wow, how time passes

Best Answer

it is a gift of biology... the world favorite imaginary friend cannot give you anything tangible

Best Answer
1 More Response

I was told once u older than 40 it can be a bit dangerous! But I know of women who have had babies this age and they fine!

Best Answer

ok i have heard the same thing, but late 30s is fine right

Best Answer

I heard that even in the forties, the risk is low unless there's a family history of problems. It can be more of a problem for the mother.

Best Answer

Absolutely! I just had a very healthy baby girl, my second 3.5 months ago, I am 37. Go for it!

Best Answer

till menopaused

Best Answer

A woman of any age can have a healthy baby if everything is working properly. Though most doctors will tell you waiting til 35 or older does increase risks. On average women who have their babies in their 20s or early 30s have much easier pregnancies than older women. After 35 doctors consider a pregnant woman to be of "advanced maternal age" some women get offended by that but it's just the doctors facing facts. Older women have a greater risk of issues and birth defects. However, that doesn't mean they can't have perfectly healthy babies. Most do just fine. Just might have a few more aches and pains than they might have had they had their kids younger. Depends on family history with pregnancy and each individual woman. No two pregnancies are the same, even with the same woman. I'm 26 and have 2 kids and my pregnancies were both very different.

Best Answer

Its very individual. My mom used to work in a natal hospital that specialized on pathologies and oh my, so many young health girls were having such sick children. And yet my mom's friend had a her third child when she was 45, and she had a healthy baby boy.

Best Answer

A 63 year old woman in the states last year had twins from doctors help:| will she even be alive when they are 10 or 20 ? :S

Best Answer

r u serious?

Best Answer

yup.. made the news up here. The lady was happy and joyful about it....:|

Best Answer

Related Questions