Please discuss. Seems like it might be a tough subject to approach.
ohemmgee ohemmgee 31-35, F 19 Answers Nov 7, 2012 in Religion

Let them attend a few. I don't see any harm in allowing children to have real exposure to the real world. I would want to know something about the place and the people they were going with if I hadn't been there before. Because not all churches are safe places...clearly.

Best Answer

That seems more than fair.

Best Answer

I have no children, but I would tell them what my own parents told me...go to find out what you want to know and if you decide it's your thing then great!!

Best Answer

I would let them attend which they want to as long as it is not a cult.

Best Answer

I appreciate your making the distinction that they're not all cults.

Best Answer

I would say, "That's your choice but, I can't take you cause I'll spontaneously combust when I walk inside the door."

I have two 'children,' one is grown, and one is almost grown. It's their choice and I would support them in their choice.

Best Answer

I'd offer them all sorts of privileges and high allowances, no curfew, if and only if they could prove the biggest claim of said religion. This would encourage actual education and fact finding, critical thinking and objective reasoning, which are basically silver bullets to the farce that is religion.

Best Answer

And you consider any of that to be supportive behavior?

Best Answer

Yes, I do. Being able to justify my beliefs and match them up with reality is important to me. This is a quality I would teach my child.

Best Answer

Depends. At an early age, children are profoundly gullible and I would not allow them to be influenced by superstition. When they have matured past the teens, when they are able to weigh fact and fiction and are sure of themselves, then it is their life.

Best Answer

Superstition? (leave a tooth under the pillow and a fairy swaps it out for money?)

Best Answer

It's up to the kid---though I might disown her

Best Answer

Ouch.

Best Answer

Some times you gotta go with Tough Love

Best Answer

But I'd probably save tough love for drugs or something damaging...

Best Answer

Well it depends on how old the child is. If I have to go with them then no, If my kid is 16 or older and wants to chase a fairy tale that is his or her prerogative. Fighting them on it will only make the religious disease worse.

Best Answer

It's too bad you feel that way.

Best Answer

If they're young and were going with a grownup, fine, but I wouldn't shy away from telling them I don't think any of it is real if they asked me.

If they're older and it's their own decision, I'd be fine with it. If it seemed to be becoming a serious/regular thing, I'd probably want to go along with them to check it out and make sure it wasn't some kind of cult, though. And again, I wouldn't be averse to respectfully discussing why they believe the things they do.

Best Answer

It's a fairly consistent thing for parents to shut down ideas with which they don't agree. Being open to discussion is the mark of an intellectual.

Best Answer

My step dad was an atheist he came in to our lives when i was under 10.I read the Bible and now I am a staunch believer in God.

Best Answer

What caused you to pursue, his adversity?

Best Answer

Well I always had a feeling something intelligent was responsible for all creation.

Best Answer

I think so too.

Best Answer

Well I would be unhappy about it but I would not discourage it. I guess it also depends why he wanted to attend, I studied religion (actually minored in it) but that was because I was very interested in it from a historical perspective, and plus it makes it more fun debating believers.

Best Answer

To be great at debate you've got to know both sides.

Best Answer

Hopefully I would have wised them up about the topic before they get convinced by others to join their ranks.

Best Answer

Well, to each his own.

Best Answer

I never went after I had them but I sent them to Awana starting at 7 so they could decide...One decided she wanted to be Aglincian and the other passed....

Best Answer

Are you a single mom?

Best Answer

We shared custody ...

Best Answer

Eshh, you're a stronger woman than I.

Best Answer