I got slammed a bit yesterday when I agreed that there are some conversations the underaged posters shouldn't be involved in. I don't feel comfortable advising kids, if feels like I'm overstepping boundaries. I understand why the kids don't agree, but some adults didn't either...
bijouxbroussard bijouxbroussard 46-50, F 16 Answers Oct 24, 2012 in EP

The only disagreement I might have with you on that is that I am assuming any children on EP are most likely not being adequately supervised by their parents already and therefore can probably use my input, even though I realize it may differ from what their parents would prefer, but if that is the case then it is up to those parents to provide more supervision for their child, in my opinion.

Best Answer

I completely agree. I only advise kids on very general, safe topics and I had a realization that this site does involve a lot of "all age interactions". We have to be careful to stay appropriate and to allow for safe boundaries.<br />
Really good question!

Best Answer

It depends - anything more than telling them to reach out to the parents or professionals (i.e. - school counselor) do not tamper. That's between the parents and how they choose to raise their child(ren). In this area, I personally choose to mind my business barring any posts insinuating immiment harm/danger to themselves or others. Even then, end result, get help professionally!

Best Answer

It's what teachers and guidance counselors do every single day.

Best Answer

True, but they're usually trained to work with kids. And they know they'll be held accountable if they say something harmful or inappropriate.

Best Answer

I guess I depends that on what my child was asking advice on. I try to avoid giving advice that I wouldn't want someone to giving my daughter.

Best Answer

Yes I would because I would want and expect my sons to have come to me with questions when they were that age but, I can understand many children don't feel comfortable speaking to their parent's for many reasons. For that reason I'm not really against children being on this site. I think they can get great insight from some of us. <br />
When I answer questions I do consider the age group of the person I am answering but I wouldn't not give advice if I didn't feel it was good advice.

Best Answer

But you're a responsible person. So many are not.

Best Answer

Thanks...and true I do cringe sometimes when I see answer given to minors.

Best Answer

Any conversations adults have with minors can leave them exposed to all sorts of potential trouble. Words and phrases can sometimes be construed many different ways by different people. At the very least, a person could find themselves in a very embarrassing position or much worse.

Best Answer

Ouch. It's a very good question. I guess when i've engaged with kids here it's been with empathy of a parent if my kid was feeling that screwed up and typing their scream to the world into an internet 'world'.

Best Answer

I'm not a parent, but, I wouldn't have a problem with an adult giving my child any advice here. as long as it's just simple advice to something my child would not be comfortable to come to me with. there are many genuine people here on EP and many are supportive and helpful and truly want to help. some are just plain mean and really want to attack an adult or child because of the question they ask. :)

Best Answer