Okay, so my exroomate wants me to pay her $500 for damages. Here are the reasons why I am less inclined to, and after reading, please let me know if you think I should or not. 1. So her and her husband lived there for 4 years. They were on the lease, I was there for 3 months. 2. They're suing for carpet, after 4 years.... something is fishy. The carpet was awful when I moved in. Yes I cats, but with or without cats, that would have to have been replaced. 3. I asked for a breakdown of charges last month. No one sent it to me. In fact, i was told a month after moving out that everything was fine. 4. Her husband punched in walls,, ruined doors, etc. Before I moved in. Yes, my cat scratched a door a little, but compared to a fist going through it? 5. She is specifically coming after me during tax time, is that weird? I am calling the rental company tiday,not sure what they can tell me.
QueenofCalifornia QueenofCalifornia 22-25, F 8 Answers Mar 7 in Doing Good

What I have found on google is carpet wear is 3-4 years and then can't be charged for. Ask for a break down from the rental place. Anything not directly in your room could be a grey area. Damages in their room is not your issue pending you can prove which room is yours. Gather up all info you had on the place just in case so it is in one place, but other then that I woudn't sweat too much. Did you leave a deposit and did they have a break down of all bills? Use google for most of this instead of us wanna be EP lawyers though.

Best Answer

Haha true. Thanks for your valuable response.

Best Answer

Since you're not legally a party to the lease/rental contract, you don't owe anything to them!

Best Answer

I wouldnt pay.They knew you had a cat,hadnt let the place in pristine condition when you first rented,and were already told there was no problem.On top of which they cant be bothered to give you a breakdown.On their bikes!

Best Answer

Thank you!

Best Answer

Ignore. She can file a small-claims suit if she thinks she can win. Nothing said here indicates she has the evidence. The timefr<x>ame alone makes the claim petty.

Best Answer

Cool thanks... i agree.

Best Answer

you have the right to ask for an itemized charges list I believe. They have to do a lot of work. If you took pictures it should be easier... but I wouldn't pay....

Best Answer

Thanks!

Best Answer

Take it to a civil lawyer..

Best Answer

Press the issue. Hopefully you took pictures prior to moving in.

Best Answer

Shoot, I had them on an old phone...

Best Answer

Pay up b i. T. C h

Best Answer

They should take it out of the deposit they insisted on... oh wait. No deposit? Oh well.

Best Answer