What does the English language sound like to you ? Is it similar sounding to another one, say , sounds like German or ? , funny how we cannot hear ourselves for what we sound like to other language speakers. Do our sounds heard become more clear to us when we speak other languages ? Don't expect many comments , but hope to get someone to elaborate on this
MsOracle MsOracle 66-70, F 5 Answers Apr 14 in Community

Languages can be categorized into different families. Languages in the same family sound somewhat similar to one another. For example: Italian, Spanish and Portuguese belong to the same family, and they sound a little similar. Also Russian, Polish and Ukrainian belongs to the same family, so they sound a little bit the same. <br />
English belongs to the same family of languages as German, Dutch, Danish, etc so English sounds a little like them. But if you know a language you can tell the difference. So, English is much closer to say Danish or German than it is to Russian. <br />
The non-European languages like Arabic, Chinese or Japanese sound VERY different from English.

Best Answer

What a wonderful lesson in Languages, I did not know this , how fascinating this is !

Best Answer

I have always loved languages :) fascinating to study them - and it knowing another language also makes you understand your own language and culture in a new way!

Best Answer

Beautiful, I am getting the Rosita Stone , is that what it's called ? I want to learn French and more Spanish.

Best Answer

There are many English languages! British, 'American' (several dialects in the USA), Canadian, Australian etc. They all sound very different

Best Answer

Thank you !

Best Answer

English is the language required to be learned in my country, so I guess English doesn't sound strange or unfamiliar cause we hear it at a young age, I suppose to all the other countries who are non English they are familiar with the language, the only language that is strange for me is Chinese

Best Answer

Honestly it's hard to tell, because we have heard English since we were really young. It's almost like you have to know English and in my country we start to learn English from a age of 6 or 7. <br />
One thing you could do is listen to German and see if you think it's similar in some ways. I think it isn't that similar, but there are a couple of words that are. The grammar is not the same.

Best Answer

Good idea, I will listen differently now to German, I see it somewhat now.

Best Answer

Thanks everyone , what great answers you gave!

Best Answer