I just took a walk through the local high school. The kids all hang out in the halls in the morning before the bell, and I'm noticing something disturbing. A lot of the girls are extremely thin- I'm talking size 0 or below, if there is such a thing. I walked behing two girls- each with boney little arms like spindles. The main reason I'm addressing this to the guys is that all of the girls that I've noticed like this are hanging off of their boyfriends. The two girls today each were holding hands with a guy. I'm just thinking back to when I was in school, and the guys of my generation would have considered the anorexic look to be a bit creepy- definitely unhealthy. Now, it's like the super thin girls are the popular ones. When I saw this thick set guy holding hands with this wraith-like creature, it just drove it all home to me. These young girls and what they do to their bodies. I don't understand it. I don't see how it is attractive to the boys.
Vessa Vessa 41-45, F 25 Answers Aug 24, 2012 in Dating & Relationships

because they think that is what is beautiful based on what they have been taught from media. some people genuinely are attracted to this kind of girl, but for the most part i think young men in high school are intimidated by girls that are actually developed and have some curve. that is why the developed ones tend to date older guys.

Best Answer

very interesting perspective

Best Answer

So the guys are lining up what they find attractive with what is in the media? And that's why the girls are starving themselves? It's horrible.

Best Answer

i didn't see it as starving themselves, but more undeveloped. to say every skinny girl has an eating disorder is a stereotype. and the media portrays skinny chicks as 'the sexy ones' so subconsciously that is why boys go for that. it is called social brainwashing.

Best Answer

This isn't undeveloped...it's very thin...not even slender, but bones. I've seen thin girls before, but not to this extent, and not this many. Honestly, it made me feel a bit ill.

Best Answer

oh, well then maybe they are attracted to unhealthy people? or maybe they just want to start fires while having sex rubbing two sticks together? i don't know what you want from me, i was just answering your question the best i know how. maybe you should start a school club against eating disorders.....

Best Answer

Wow. I don't understand the attitude. But OK....

Best Answer

lol, i am just answering my personal belief here, that is all and you are pleading an answer from me i do not have. maybe you should think about why it bothers you so much? people just crave love and acceptance from others and these girls may be trying to achieve this by their physical shell rather then developing a sound personality. sorry about the attitude, i am just running out of 'what to tell ya's'

Best Answer

It's media influence, definitely. In my high school, the thin girls were popular too, but after graduation, over half of the guys who had dated thin girls were with average (slightly chubby to overweight) women. Some men genuinely like really thin women, but I have found that most do not.

In your youth, your authentic opinion hasn't really formed yet. You want to fit in at any cost, so you will do what the tv ads tell you and follow the lead of your peers. Once you mature, you realize that you would rather follow your own lead and pursue your own tastes.

Best Answer

So most of these relationships are about having a thin girl on your arm and not actual attraction?

Best Answer

I believe that's how they start, absolutely. Of course, the more time you spend with someone, the more you get to know them for who they are, and the higher the chance of really liking them. But I think the initial attraction is due to media influence and the perceived "shame" in dating a heavier girl in high school.

Best Answer

True. I guess it's all about image.

Best Answer

Its what the Media, Madison Avenue (advertising) and Hollywood promote.

Best Answer

I remember being influenced by the media back in the day...but it's sad if it's gone this far. If my daughter looked like some of these girls, it would make me crazy.

Best Answer

I know terribly skinny. As for me I like chubby women the best :)

Best Answer

I've noticed that's pretty popular here too. But with the older fellows. lol

Best Answer

My boyfriend is a Physics teacher, and he tells me all the girls drink is water for lunch and never eat a breakfast. They starve themselves. It's really not difficult to figure out why, they get positive reinforcement. Young men think thinness is close to godliness or something.

Best Answer

we need to do something to reverse that paradigm

Best Answer

That's incredibly sad.

Best Answer

I know. We're going to see a generation of young people with heart problems in their 20's. Actually, 20% of people with anorexia are men, so the disease is spreading to the other gender as well.

Best Answer

That's the thing. The guys of my generation weren't like that...at least not in my school. And it seems this is kind of new. What I don't get is why the guys find it attractive. It was so strange- that girl next to her boyfriend looked like a stick figure. Her bony little hand in his muscular one. It freaked me out.

Best Answer

Well...she could be naturally small. Kids grow and tend to stretch out a bit, especially if they were skinny before. Your body type is based on genetics, but it is disturbing to see someone who is really, really, really skinny.

Best Answer

I find it alarming because the girls look androgious. They look like young boys. I think it just brings the ********* out in men. No, I do not understand this trend at all. I think it is creepy and VERY unhealthy.

Best Answer

To me, they look like dolls, if you know what I mean. Like the Bratz dolls. Very small bodies. Large heads. Heavy makeup, especially the eyes. All eyeliner and dark shadows. I'm not even sure how to refer to it. And they wear clingy clothes to accentuate the thinness. It's so strange really. What have we come to?

Best Answer

I agree...and on the flip side...there are also young men whom appear to starve themselves and are waif-like as well...have you seen this type? Extremely skinny, pale guys with no muscular structure at all slinking around in saggy skinny jeans....what the heck.

Best Answer

I've known only a couple of those fellows. They were gay, so I don't know if that has anything to do with it. There are a couple that I've noticed at my son's school who are very thin and wear skinny jeans or maybe leggings for guys? I hadn't ever seen that before, so I'm not sure what it's about.

Best Answer

well im a guy and i think curvy girls are way sexier like they have shape and nice curves to run your hands over just bearly touching and tickling teasing and always ave nice sexy bums who wants a bag of bones no pretty face no boobs no bum no personality cos they are so self obsessed

Best Answer

I don't think it's fair to pick on the thin girls because personally I'm he same weight now as I was in high school ,it depends on genetics however, I dont agree with young girls being impressed by stick thin models that hold "the what's in now factor "..anorexia is a disease not to be taken lightly . It's sad that many girls fall victim to the physical side of their beings as opposed to what beauty lays beneath them..

Best Answer

We had thin girls when I was in school, and it's true, some of them were picked on for being "rails". But honestly, they looked much healthier than these girls. That's one reason I wrote this Q. I haven't seen anything quite like it. I wish the young girls would get a much better message- from society and from the guys who chase after them. I was looking at that guy and thinking, "Man, feed your girlfriend!"

Best Answer

I hear you,especially if a girl is with a bigger guy ..she looks even thinner ,my partner is double if not more than my size I expect a few have turned their their heads but I'm healthy and happy and could care less ...

Best Answer

we should do something to reverse the paradigm.

Best Answer

I think so. I wanted to go and talk to the counselor and see if they have some sort of eating disorders program at the school. It was that disturbing to me.

Best Answer

you should do this :D and the school should also do a better job of raising awareness and offering free open conversation and information sessions on how to be healthy and establish a positive attitude about appearence

Best Answer

On the flip side I've noticed over the last decade an increase in the number of average looking and weight guys with obese women. Just saying!

Best Answer

i noticed too. no one has a fat wife or girl friend IF they make her feel pretty and satisfy her sexually.

Best Answer

Some girls are naturally that skinny. You don't have to shame one body type to embrace another.

Best Answer

i dont think they're popular because they're skinny, i think they felt like once they were popular, to maintain that and live up to other girls standards they have to be as thin as them. i dont think guys care about how skinny a normal girl is.

Best Answer

Many guys around that high school age tend to be shallow. Good looks are important to them. Some of them can be cruel. They grow out of it though when they get older.

Naturally tall people tend to be thinner than shorter people. Some can't help the way their body type is when they are younger.

But I can understand how seeing a lot of super thin young women would freak you out.

Best Answer

I remember the kids who had growth spurts. My son has had one, and is now over 6'. These girls were all around average, I suppose. Maybe around 5'4". I can usually tell the difference between thin and unhealthy. There is something about the shape of the limbs. Muscle tone. A sort of pallor to the skin. And this pale look, which is a bit like the goth style, I suppose. That's one reason they seem so sad to me....it's that look, I guess. LIke they have been ill.

Best Answer

can you spot a meth body? rectangle bloated body, itty, bitty, skinny, tiny limbs?

Best Answer

I wouldn't readily recognize it as such, no. I've never known a young meth addict. I hope that's not what it's all about. I think that meth causes sores and tooth loss and a very strange look altogether...not just the super thin look that girls starve themselves into.

Best Answer

Because in our society the current media generated model of "attractive"

is thin girls......So society put pressure on young girls too live up to that perceived ideal. ......The fact that only about 3% of people can be that thin and be healthy is just never mentioned.

But skinny as attractive is a new thing....that really started in the 1960`s.....Before then the classic "hour glass" figure was the ideal because it portrayed fertility........Before that "plumper" girls were the ideal because it portrayed affluence.

But in our current "age" we are at the mercy of the media like never before.

And the media is pumping out images of the "skinny ideal" faster and in more ways then ever....The "size zero ideal" is nonsense.... Only 1 to 3% of females could survive at that size as adults....The reason being size 0...is the size of a healthy eight year old.....So for 97 odd % of the population trying to be a size 0 basically means starvation, health problems and death.

And yet the media keep pumping out the "ideal"...with no concept of the damage they are doing to young people at all......

So hear is a really revolutionary idea........Instead of forcing an "ideal" image down peoples throats all the time......why don't we teach young people how amazing there body's are....and how to be happy with themselves and there body's.

Best Answer

I believe some magazines stress to young women that they should be comfortable & accept their body types. I remember flipping through a magazine a while ago that showed several different girls with various body types, various styles, and various skin tones wearing outfits. I think the article was something like, "The Perfect Jeans or Outfit for Your Body Shape," something like that.

Best Answer

I agree....some magazines ect....do talk about different body types ect.........The problem is the human brain deals in images....not words.

Best Answer

I'm a visual person myself. Words can be insincere. Actions speak louder than words.

Best Answer

As long as you're healthy, this is what should be embraced. When I was in high school it seemed guys liked curvy girls. As in not heavy girls, but girls with curves. I remember my friend Susie was a boy magnet, she was petite but she was curvy.

In high school my older sister was also a boy magnet but she was confident and happened to have a nice body. She had a pretty face and big boobs.

Some guys like thin girls some like thick or curvy, or slender. Who knows.

Best Answer

That's what I remember too. The girls who did sports were popular. Healthy was "in". And girls who looked womanly were admired. I remember models that were super thin back then, but for the most part, we would all comment on how odd and unhealthy they looked to us. The guys seemed to agree. That has changed somehow, and that's the mystery.

Best Answer

I don't think it's changed, I think you just happened to be at some highschool where you happened to see girls thin. Maybe you should look that up sociologically. Think in a sociological way. What area or affluence was the high school you were looking at? Are you sure you saw every couple as frail thin? Maybe the media could have played a role or maybe you saw anorexic girls who happened to have boyfriends.

Best Answer

Same here, girls who did sports were always popular. The jocks and don't have to be popular but they were boy magnets. It didn't change when I was in highschool and I graduated in year 2006. Although it's been 6-7 years I look at my neice who's 19 and she's not exactly skinny but she has a boyfriend and they're adorable together. I don't know.

Best Answer

*jocks and the cheerleaders.

Best Answer

I agree with facemanet, extreme thinness is what is considered to be "fashionable" these days, and we all know how important it is to most young girls to be fashionable. If by some miracle the media began flooding the market with images of "heavy-set" females, those same skinny chicks would "bulk up" in no time.

Best Answer

Makes me sad.

Best Answer

don't know what your talking about lol I love big thick girls :)

Best Answer

You're not a high school guy. That's the age I'm talking about here.

Best Answer

officer mustache ??? or **** star???

Best Answer

The nearer the bone, the sweeter the meat.

Best Answer

Ew. lol

Best Answer

That is so wrong.

Best Answer

stop eating people.

Best Answer

Oh...God...The poor thin girls soon after pairing with the guys become bulky and fatty!!!!

Best Answer

First I read, thin girls pair with guys who are bulky and fatty. It can happen.

Best Answer

I guess times have changed. When I was in high school it was the girls with boobs that got all the attention and their pick of the guys.

Best Answer

being smaller=looking younger

most men are attracted to woman that look like teenagers to them.

Best Answer