rahkeepschanging rahkeepschanging 26-30, F 10 Answers Nov 6, 2012 in Community

WOW!!! Just looked it up...They did!!!! Congratulations, Colorado!!! :-)))

Best Answer

They are also voting on it in Washington State this month. Initiative 505.

Best Answer

it is a trend that is growing in the us

Best Answer

Packing as we speak...

Best Answer

...and I am thinking it is for "recreational" vs "medicinal"...however...FEDS trumps STATE rights always...my dear friends have been growing & delivering to "medical dispensaries" for a few years now with STATE licenses (California)...they are both in their 60's & really haven't smoked for several years...the FEDS just busted them...handcuffed...guns to their heads...took them to jail & they both have two felonies against them....this has got to stop....

Best Answer

that is not how our government works... the federal government only has the rights named in the Constitution. It is called "federalism." One such right that often gives the federal government power is the "commerce clause," which gives Congress power to regulate interstate commerce. The biggest powers are the rights named in the Amendments and the regulations over discriminated classes of people, which get their power from the 14th Amd. The Federal Government will only be able to assert their power over this issue if crosses state borders or if they can use another power in the Constitution.

Best Answer

...I am thinking not, Rahskolnikou...California allows the sale of weed for medical reasons...HOWEVER...it is against Federal law...thus, Federal law ALWAYS trumps STATE law....this I am SURE of....it is the age old debate since the 13 colonies...State vs Federal ...do a little research...I am positive in this account...just because a State passes a law....and it is legal in their State...& it is illegal under Federal Law...the FEDS can come into a State & make arrests in that State...sad...but true...

Best Answer

I'm not repeating myself. I thought what I said was very direct. I wasn't questioning the simplistic statement that existing federal law will trump state law when there is a conflicting interest. What I am trying to say is that for the federal law to exist in the first place, it must be because of a power in the Constitution. Various medical marijuana laws are not targeted at the overall state legalization of marijuana, so the point is irrelevant. I'm not really sure how else to educate the point. Here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federalism
Skip to the section on US Federalism and learn all about the enumerated and reserved powers... Something tells me your government teacher is not qualified. So, please, just read this and show them up in class next week.

Best Answer

...okay, I see your point...I completely agree that the Federal government receives its powers from the Constitution...I think we are talking about two different things here...I was directly referring to the California State law that it is legal(with a permit & guidelines & fees) to grow & sell marijuana to "medical dispensaries" ...thus, my friends did so, legally, under Calif State Law...but, because...(perhaps the war on drugs, whatever) the FEDS have come in & arrested these people for growing & selling pot...which is against the FEDERAL law...even though it is legal under California State law...that is really the only point I was making...and the various marijuana laws are being targeted...very pointedly...by the FEDS...at least in California...& the federal government has every right to ...but, my point was....it's time to stop...that the Federal govern & State govern need to come together, at least on the terms of legalizing weed...that's all...just don't like seeing my dear, good citizen friends...being put in jail...& having two federal felonies against them (growing & selling weed for medical purposes that is legal under State law but are being prosecuted under Federal law)...what an excellent mind you have, Rahskolnikou...very admirable...are we able to meet, yet, on some kind of common ground?

Best Answer