Do I need more modems or and whats a router? Should I buy my own d link for each computer or what can I do to speed up the speed on our many computers does anybody know anything about this? If I got a tech in my house what should I ask them to do my internet provider has me on hold cause they cannot even figure out how to help me. They said they can only provide me with one modem, do I need more modems?
Jesusfoundme Jesusfoundme 31-35, F 17 Answers Dec 27, 2012 in Community

You probably need 1) Increased Bandwidth (more data throughput) see your internet service provider for a plan to 'boost' your internet speeds; 2) Router/Firewall running DHCP services (to share the 1 modem - and share files between computers in a private 'Local Area Network').

Best Answer

Take up Buddism and learn patience.

Best Answer

You don't need to change your modem, you simply need a faster connection. Call your service provider and ask for an upgrade.

Best Answer

We have the best they can offer on this side of town, the whole East side of town is running on a slower speed than the West side of town which was upgraded a couple of years ago but our side of town hasn't been upgraded yet. That's half the town.

Best Answer

If you have 5 computers vying for bandwidth (that is, if that is the problem) then the solution is to contact your provider and up bandwidth - which will cost more obviously.

Best Answer

Geek squad to the rescue!

Best Answer

not on your life!

Best Answer

You need a fast Internet connection and a router, preferably a wireless one.

Best Answer

We live on the East side of town which hasn't been upgraded to the faster internet speeds. So our half of the town is just out of luck when it comes to the high speed thing.

Best Answer

You have to have a good internet service. You then hook a router (they act as an interned splitter) to the modem to properly handle the traffic.

Best Answer

You want at LEAST a 600, if not a 900 dual band, wireless router. If you are doing any video streaming, you will also need a gigabit router. That will be able to handle anything you throw at it. <br />
Also, check the tranfer rate of your modem itself. If it's not high enough, then you may have to upgrade that as well

Best Answer

what kind of internet service are you paying for? 5Mb DSL?

Best Answer

go to Future Shop and ask the computer tech there He/She might be able to help you! You're problem is too much for me! Wireless network might be your solution but that's just a guess! A router is just that a router it's a black box and has arial and places to plug things in!

Best Answer

ain't got nothing on that, sorry

Best Answer

No idea--I'd go ask the people wherever I bought the computers from

Best Answer