IMAGINATIONATWORK IMAGINATIONATWORK 36-40 18 Answers Dec 11, 2012 in Community

I was taught manners growing up, so yes. I think it is a sign of respect to address elders as sir or maam. I don't know why some people get angry about it, there is nothing wrong with being polite.<br />
I also address younger women(like a clerk in a store) as miss. I love it when people call me miss, makes me feel a little younger! lol

Best Answer

Yes I was, although somewhat old fashion today, my children address me and their mother with the above. I have been told by their teachers that they also do that at school and how much they appreciate it.

Best Answer

No, I never did it because I realized it had nothing to do with genuine respect. It was just part of living in a society filled with ignorant authoritarian douche bags who think taking power over those weaker than them was a sign of strength, when really all it makes you is a ******* coward.

Best Answer

i dont usually use the words yes mam or sir. i might on occasion, if they are a stranger.<br />
and this is one thing i've kinda made my own style about. i take care of older people, and instead of calling them mr or mrs i usually call them by their first name. i figure at their age they probably dont hear much of their first name much because nobody says it anymore. they either hear mom or grandma, or ma'm all the time so i think calling them by name is a nice way to recognize them as an individual, not just as a client, or older relative. seems more casual but my goal is to make them comfortable with me

Best Answer

I was brought up to say lease, thank you and you're welcome. In scotland our parents are addressed as mum and dad. I agree with Thecoleprotocol, sir and m'am are a wee bit authoritarian for me.

Best Answer

Err that was please not lease!

Best Answer

Yes Ma'am I sure in the hell do .

Best Answer

My parents were not that frigid. I do respect my elders though because I think it's the right thing to do.

Best Answer

no, just "yes" or "no"<br />
I say it now but mostly because I live in the South so everybody "ma'ams" and "sirs" all over the place.

Best Answer

yes, it is a simple form of respect

Best Answer

no I was taught to say thank you or you're welcomed

Best Answer

For the most part, yes.

Best Answer

I was never thought to, it is just something I remember always doing

Best Answer

I certainly was, and still do. It's just common respect, all too uncommon today.

Best Answer

I agree with you Sir

Best Answer

yes I was and yes I still do

Best Answer

Yes, Ma'am.....

Best Answer