marriedup marriedup 56-60, M 60 Answers Jan 8, 2013 in Community

It was never something I was MADE to do, but as a kid I learned from example. I still will use "sir" or "ma'am" when addressing people I don't know by name.

Best Answer

Thank you, the way it should be.

Best Answer

No, I was taught to say that to an outranking officer.

Best Answer

You and a few million more

Best Answer

This is an absolute requirement in our family. My dad is in the air force and we have lots of rules including having to answer with yes sir/no sir and yes ma'am/no ma'am to all adults. My girlfriend thinks it is weird that I say yes sir and yes ma'am to my parents but I don't get much of a choice. My dad doesn't hesitate to get his belt out when he thinks I need it. One of the other rules I have been arguing with my dad about is that he cuts my hair (buzzes it) and my two brothers every other Sunday morning. He gets us up early, spreads newspaper on the kitchen floor, sets three stools down on the paper, gets us bibbed up and buzzes the new growth from the the past two weeks. I hate this so much and he won't listen to me. My brothers hate it too and we wish he would stop and just let us grow our hair out just a little. I would like to get mine styled and cut in a real barber shop. We have lots of rules here.

Best Answer

My early years were the same. My Dad was in the air force too, he did send us to the base barber shop though.

Best Answer

Yes, Thats easy, It shows you respect them.

Best Answer

Quite some time ago. These days I'm usually that older person.

Best Answer

Yes sir, I was.

Best Answer

No. I was just taught to use please and thank you.

Best Answer

Certainly was. Also proper etiquette at a dinner table, which it seems is very uncommon these days. People that put their elbows on the table tick me off.

Best Answer

no, that's a southern thing, which is not where i am from, but i dont need to use those words to respect my elders, or anyone for that matter

Best Answer

yes.

Best Answer

Nope. I was taught to respect all people though, so I will say thank you, no thank you etc.

Best Answer

I was taught to be polite but not with ma'am and sir. It might have been because those words (or at least ma'am) are more of a Southern thing and my mom is from Asia and my dad is from Michigan so it's not quite as prevalent.<br />
I use it all the time, though, just because everyone else here does so it became a habit.

Best Answer

It is a southern thing but we have been invaded by the northern heathens and that has had its an effect on us.

Best Answer

Definitely. Any good parent should teach their children to "RESPECT" their elders and authority figures. Unfortunately you see less and less of it these days. Not fashionable I guess. Easier for the youth of today to ignore, bully and degrade people than to be nice, kind and respectful to their fellow human beings.

Best Answer

"Remember that you too will grow old, and you'll fantasize that when you were young, politicians were noble; prices were reasonable; and children respected their elders."

Best Answer

I agree

Best Answer

I read an article not long ago about this very thing. It was written in 1903.

Best Answer

yes but things were different 57 years ago.

Best Answer

No, but the southern gentleman that were are so sexy. I love being called ma'am lol

Best Answer

Thank you but at your age it would be miss not ma'am.

Best Answer

Whatever I still like it lol

Best Answer

Thanks

Best Answer

I sure was. and I do it to anyone providing me a serivce as well.

Best Answer

Yes sir, I was. Both as a child and as a solider. I continue the practice today at work. I work in the hospitality industry.

Best Answer

Yes Sir...I was

Best Answer

Definitely a requirement in our family. My dad would smack my mouth if I did not say yes sir, no sir, yes maam, or no maam when I am answering him or my mom or any adult.

Best Answer

Yes, I was. Now I am one of those older people.

Best Answer