Questionator Questionator 26-30 601 Answers Jun 8 in Community

Question of the Day

I was diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia in 1980 when I was 19 years old. In 1981 I spent 8 months locked up in a psychiatric hospital. I was on powerful medication, it was so powerful I could barely walk, every step was an effort. I got out and 9 months later I got a job. I stayed there 4 years. But I had tried smoking crack and shortly I was addicted. I lost my job due to crack and relapsed and was hospitalized again. In1990 I joined AA and got clean and then I got another job and started taking classes at out local community college. I lived in a group home from 1990 to 1995.But I moved out and I have been living on my own and working since then. I need 5 more classes for my degree. Today I am living by myself in a nice studio apartment and I have been at my job for 5 years. I'm proud that I have lived a somewhat normal life despite having a disease that is one of the most disabling and costliest diseases in the world.

Top Answer #1
Best Answer

Shows the strength I wish I could have, amazing.

Best Answer

Wow..I was diagnosed with Paranoid-Schizophrenia while I was in the VA with PTSD I hated it. .I've had to spend 15 yrs inside mental institutions and now I'm just trying to live some sort of "normal" life...it'll never be but I'm still trying. .not much help from the VA. .they just lock you up and give you heavy doses of drugs. .

Best Answer

Well done :) you deserve to be proud of yourself

Best Answer

You sir are an inspiration. This is genuinely one of the most heart warming posts I've read on here. Good luck with your final degree classes, you have overcome so much and can be justifiably proud

Best Answer

Thank you for speaking up. I know how you feel, I was set for life in my career when the illness took over and destroyed it all...I'm on the road to recovery now and things are looking better too

Best Answer

You go dude. Way to be.

Best Answer

Aliveandbreathing, No matter the symptoms are real. Pontificate all you like, but this man deserves to be applauded

Best Answer

Fantastic 555calif. Way to go. Full of admiration for you

Best Answer

I have done some volunteer work in those places. They drug you to keep you still so the job is easier. It's not meant to help you. It's meant to make you sit quietly. Don't take that stuff if you ever go back. Great job bouncing back! ((hugs you)) You are more than a conqueror!!! And I am so proud of you!:)

Best Answer

Well done :)

Best Answer

You are an inspiration. Well done and keep swimming <3

Best Answer

I won't respond to each individual answer here but everybody's kindness and understanding is VERY much appreciated. I often don't find this positivity out in the world so I am surprised AND encouraged that there are people like you guys out there in life. I hope you all see this. Thanks.

Best Answer

awesome testimony ,,,,,thanks for sharing your story ,,,I too fight major depression and PTSD,,and by the grace of God live a normal life ,but not the same story for the first 35 yrs

Best Answer

You really don't know what you're talking about. .where did you get your information chucky cheese? You know nothing about this debilitating and often deadly disease and what you just said proves it.

Best Answer

You are a true inspiration. I wish you the best of luck.

Best Answer

That's awesome!

Best Answer

Im proud to say i quit smoking 8 months ago after smoking for 17 years

Top Answer #2
Best Answer

Good for you. I'm trying to quit myself but it's so difficult.

Best Answer

awesome! I quit cold turkey 2 months ago.

Best Answer

I used a patch for 4 days and chewed a bunch of gum

Best Answer

Keep up the good work

Best Answer

I stand by what I believe in.

Top Answer #3
Best Answer

Keeping my values/morals in a generation where it's so easy to become a follower.

Best Answer

ahoy heroine, liked your comment :)

Best Answer

So true heroine. The era of the sheep is truly upon us. Be different and be yourself, it's what I always strive to do.

Best Answer

I suffer from social and general anxiety plus am prone to depression. I am also very proud person who hates sympathy or help.<br />
I am proud that every day I face things that terrify me and still achieve my goals without anyone knowing.

Best Answer

i just got accepted into the college i wanted to go to this fall

Best Answer

I gave up smoking as soon as I found out I was pregnant !

Best Answer

but maybe the damage is already done?0_0.
lol joke.

Best Answer

yeah but to me and not my baby !

Best Answer

I am stick by my beliefs, even though some are unpopular. I don't follow the herd.

Best Answer

if you follow a herd, you have to trample through all their ****

Best Answer

I'm proud that my son has turned out as beautiful as he is.

Best Answer

quitting smoking and doing well in school.

Best Answer

The fact that I've been working since I was 16 in a high pressured job... And still manage to achieve amazing grades and make it into university.

Best Answer

I am proud of my persistence and strength despite being weak. I am weak because I am easily affected by situations that make me uncomfortable and have difficulty controlling my emotions and then my actions. I am strong because I still work on these weaknesses and face my fears daily in relationships and work, and always come out with a slightly shifted perspective of things. I am proud that even though I sometimes cave in and give up, I never really give up...I just take breaks, and get back to it later. I am proud of how hard I push for who I am and being honest with others more and more about it, even though I'm terribly afraid of how different I come off to others. I am proud of my ability to love despite my and his immense fears of us not working. I am proud of my work ethic in school and how far I've come academically. I am certainly somebody to be proud of.

Best Answer

Today is my son's birthday and I am very proud of him growing up these past few years without Dad and loving Mom. <3

Best Answer

That I'm still alive and sane after all these years of somewhat questionable life choices.

Best Answer

you made me curious!please tell.pleeeeeease.pretty pleaaaase :0

Best Answer

"Adventure is what happens when you've just done something stupid!"

Best Answer

I will not expound upon my "questionable life choices" just in order to allow someone to experience them vicariously and get out of the dubious thrill of making them, escape them, ruining their own life, and then putting things all back together a few times!
Just go do something 95% Stupid and 95% Dangerous while 95% Drunk!

Best Answer

I'm most proud of standing up for what I believe in and not being bullied into any other way of thinking.

Best Answer

I'm depressed and suicidal but I didn't commit suicide <br />
I'm trying to make my mom happy<br />
I'm trying to be a better person

Best Answer

My kids.

Best Answer

I am most proud of helping to raise independent, strong-minded kids, and also achieving things in my life that I consider extraordinary and purposeful.

Best Answer

...after all this time we keep living, learning, and loving.

Best Answer

That I am still ALIVE!!!!!!!

Best Answer