Was the place extremely run down/cheap? Or did you find a decent place? How much did your apt/house cost? Did it have any utilities included? (water, gas, electric, internet, etc) (If comfortable answering) About how much were you making a month to be able to afford the place without living 'paycheck to paycheck'? How much did you save prior to moving? Did you have any help financially? (I don't mean parental help) Did you have to have more than one job to be able to make rent? Were you attending school living by yourself? I'm just trying to get a sense of what I should look for or what I should be focusing on..I really want to get out of this house :( So far it seems like the only job that could possibly pay my rent is a waitressing job (made about 1000-1500 monthly) but I was working 40+ hours, 6 days a week.
WanderingAimlessly WanderingAimlessly 18-21, F 11 Answers Nov 11, 2012 in Health

I moved out when I was 22. Bought my own place. It was a brand new 1 bedroom condo (I still own it but don't live in it). It cost $150000 (west coast of Canada just outside of Vancouver). I was probably making (net) about $2200 a month. I put 5% down. I didn't have another job and I wasn't going to school. Hope this helps. Great question by the way and I really respect you for asking questions. That is the BEST way to get a real sense of what it will be like. Because it costs more than you think (at least initially to get set up). I wish you all the best and if you have any other questions feel free to ask and I'll do my best to answer them :)

Best Answer

The moment I saw '$150000' I was a little intimidated to read the rest of your answer for a second, lol. Yea I'm definitely not expecting it to be easy at all...
I respect you for giving me a decent answer! :] Thanks so much~

Best Answer

19 yrs old. Lived with some woman I found in the newspaper ( no internet then) Lasted 4 months. Moved into a luxury apt BY MYSELF, and loved living alone. No car or phone, minimal furniture. I was always able to afford it by myself ( always had money) am still very frugal.<br />
Sounds like you should get a roommate (somebody you trust) and start saving.

Best Answer

Well thats the problem, the people I do trust are either living on campus, no job, or have a job and making next to nothing. :/

Best Answer

I was 18 when I moved out, and I was totally unprepared for it. It was a split-second decision after a huge blow-out fight with my mom. <br />
I had a friend who rented a 3 bedroom house with a full finished (one bedroom) ba<x>sement, and she offered to let me move into the ba<x>sement and pay half the rent (about 300 bucks a month). So my boyfriend and I did that. It wasn't perfect- there was a cement floor, so we laid down huge area rugs everywhere, and the bathroom was tiny and had only a shower stall (I was used to having a bathtub). It was freezing in winter and pleasantly cool in summer. But at the time it was heaven- my bf and I finally had some privacy and some independence. <br />
We pretty much lived paycheck to paycheck. We both worked at a factory making about 8 bucks an hour. But we got by. It was definitely a learning experience. But we had lots of fun too. I'd do it again.

Best Answer

age 16 with friends from school-left-had to to survive-nice apartment-split rent

Best Answer

My boyfriend and i moved out when we graduated high school... we got an apartment neither of us could afford (i guess we thought we deserved a nice place lol) so our parents had to help out a lot. We ended up breaking up. One thing i can tell you for sure - DON'T pick an upstairs apartment where the ceiling is real high! You know what i mean, like the ceiling was tilted, as where an apartment on the first floor would have had a flat accross ceiling... no we had to have the pretty apartment with the huge ceiling. (LOL) We paid so much for heating, and yet we STILL had to sit by the heater to stay warm. It was nuts. The room was just too big! I still hate myself for that decision.

Best Answer

I get what you mean...a friend of mine had a ceiling like that and I ended up jumping on their bed and busting my head on the ceiling...lol. I was actually trying for more of a studio apartment XD So I dont have to worry about other tenants. But sorry about your experience, you live and you learn right, haha.
Thanks for the answer as well :]

Best Answer

I moved out a week before my 17th birthday. I already graduated high school. And moved in with my boyfriend (who was 21) in his house.

Best Answer

I moved out at 15. was a picnic shed in a national park. ummm utilities werent much. lol

Best Answer

I styed with my parents till got married @ 30. Then moved to work as as an nurse in a company mining town, whete the house was provided by the company for a symbolic fee.

Best Answer

I moved out when I was 18 on my own.

Best Answer

Well....thank you for answering the first question I guess.

Best Answer

I feasted on Ramen Noodles for a year. :/

Best Answer

Thats probably what is going to happen to me..and I am 100% okay with that.

Best Answer

Its not so bad. Lol.

Best Answer