I suffer from long term depression & anxiety. When I feel severely depressed and/or anxious I cannot control myself and I find sleep is the only way to calm my emotions. But during these emotional outbursts I find it nearly impossible to get myself to sleep. I need some advice regarding some effective methods/pills to get me to sleep so I won't harm myself.
MissPaws88 MissPaws88 22-25, F 14 Answers Jan 10, 2013 in Depression

Can't sleep? Let me show you 5000 slides of microscopic bacteria! 1... 2... 3 (my favorite!) 4... 5...

Best Answer

Haha that made me smile but trust me when I get into my emotional outbursts, NOTHING seems to work!

Best Answer

i too have same prob n m awake since 48 hrs n thr r no signs of sleep

Best Answer

warm cup of cocoa. make room real dark and some peaceful background music

Best Answer

Health and safety lectures

Best Answer

Start a sleep routine .. something that triggers your brain to "do the right thing" .. a series of steps that become habit so you automatically do them when you want to sleep and your body automatically responds regardless of what is racing around in your brain.<br />
It works wonderfully for very small children with sleep issues .. I'm sure it would be just as efective for an adult.

Best Answer

Benadryl to start with. Do you have a psychiatrist or a doctor who might prescribe a sleep aid or something to calm your nerves. I don't know if it's legal where you are but my best sleep aid was mj. Just a little bit; more gets me paranoid. I've been prescribed ambien ad it's not too bad, I just don't like how fast you fall. You might like that though.

Best Answer

Yes I see a Psychiatrist and I have been prescribed tranquilizers (which helps with sleep). I guess, I am worried that my body will become immune to it and then what will I do?
Yes mj is illegal here (AUS) plus I would not know WHERE to get any lol.
Ambein Ad? I might google that... I like fast because the purpose of trying to sleep during my outbursts is to stop thinking... See, If I could just 'stop worrying' or 'calm down' I wouldn't need to sleep... I hope that makes senses but Thank you very much for your feed back!

Best Answer

oops sorry that's "Ambien, and..." but yes, I took Ambien and it knocked me out in about fifteen minutes flat but some people it takes a while longer. I know what you mean. I have had luck with Geodon to keep my mood stable so I rarely get those freak-out spells. I have PTSD. It's the best med I've ever tried. I bet your psychiatrist would know more.

Best Answer

make urself physically tired, listen songs in bed, take hot showers, read books specially history

Best Answer

well, for a start drugs will only make the long-term problem worse and you'll become an addict to boot - but the methods require incredible patience and difficult emotional reflection

Best Answer

Exactly! I know pills is the easy answer but I am so afraid that my body will become immune to it and they won't work anymore. How will I control myself then?
All good answers here about different methods, but I struggle to practice them when I am in severe depression state of mind. I loose total control it scares me!

Best Answer

shutting your eyes?..

Best Answer

Do you really think if it was that easy I would be asking this question?! Tell me, do you fall asleep that easily? If you do then I envy you.

Best Answer

watch out. ill send that crazy lady atcha

Best Answer

occasionally, tend to sleep when im tired ... or eat my guts full and crash on a food coma...

Best Answer

Lucky you but I guess I sleep fine when I feel fine. The question was more about how I can 'force' sleep when my mind is too busy over thinking (a symptom of depression &amp; anxiety).

Best Answer

eat... as i said. :) peace

Best Answer