I suffer from long term depression & anxiety. When I feel severely depressed and/or anxious I cannot control myself and I find sleep is the only way to calm my emotions. But during these emotional outbursts I find it nearly impossible to get myself to sleep. I need some advice regarding some effective methods/pills to get me to sleep so I won't harm myself.
MissPaws88 MissPaws88 22-25, F 14 Answers Jan 10, 2013 in Depression

Can't sleep? Let me show you 5000 slides of microscopic bacteria! 1... 2... 3 (my favorite!) 4... 5...

Best Answer

Haha that made me smile but trust me when I get into my emotional outbursts, NOTHING seems to work!

Best Answer

i too have same prob n m awake since 48 hrs n thr r no signs of sleep

Best Answer

warm cup of cocoa. make room real dark and some peaceful background music

Best Answer

Health and safety lectures

Best Answer

Start a sleep routine .. something that triggers your brain to "do the right thing" .. a series of steps that become habit so you automatically do them when you want to sleep and your body automatically responds regardless of what is racing around in your brain.

It works wonderfully for very small children with sleep issues .. I'm sure it would be just as efective for an adult.

Best Answer

Benadryl to start with. Do you have a psychiatrist or a doctor who might prescribe a sleep aid or something to calm your nerves. I don't know if it's legal where you are but my best sleep aid was mj. Just a little bit; more gets me paranoid. I've been prescribed ambien ad it's not too bad, I just don't like how fast you fall. You might like that though.

Best Answer

Yes I see a Psychiatrist and I have been prescribed tranquilizers (which helps with sleep). I guess, I am worried that my body will become immune to it and then what will I do?
Yes mj is illegal here (AUS) plus I would not know WHERE to get any lol.
Ambein Ad? I might google that... I like fast because the purpose of trying to sleep during my outbursts is to stop thinking... See, If I could just 'stop worrying' or 'calm down' I wouldn't need to sleep... I hope that makes senses but Thank you very much for your feed back!

Best Answer

oops sorry that's "Ambien, and..." but yes, I took Ambien and it knocked me out in about fifteen minutes flat but some people it takes a while longer. I know what you mean. I have had luck with Geodon to keep my mood stable so I rarely get those freak-out spells. I have PTSD. It's the best med I've ever tried. I bet your psychiatrist would know more.

Best Answer

make urself physically tired, listen songs in bed, take hot showers, read books specially history

Best Answer

well, for a start drugs will only make the long-term problem worse and you'll become an addict to boot - but the methods require incredible patience and difficult emotional reflection

Best Answer

Exactly! I know pills is the easy answer but I am so afraid that my body will become immune to it and they won't work anymore. How will I control myself then?
All good answers here about different methods, but I struggle to practice them when I am in severe depression state of mind. I loose total control it scares me!

Best Answer

shutting your eyes?..

Best Answer

Do you really think if it was that easy I would be asking this question?! Tell me, do you fall asleep that easily? If you do then I envy you.

Best Answer

watch out. ill send that crazy lady atcha

Best Answer

occasionally, tend to sleep when im tired ... or eat my guts full and crash on a food coma...

Best Answer

Lucky you but I guess I sleep fine when I feel fine. The question was more about how I can 'force' sleep when my mind is too busy over thinking (a symptom of depression & anxiety).

Best Answer

eat... as i said. :) peace

Best Answer