Experience Project iOS Android Apps | Download EP for your Mobile Device
I am almost 56 yrs old and I am disabled also, he was drawing disabled veterans pension. Am I entitiled to any of his pension. I can draw widows social security, but that will take my medicaid away and give me medicare which is not going to do me much good. He was seeing another woman when he died and my husband was giving me $305 a month, but did not recieve it this month and not all of it last month. I had to live on $363 this month to pay rent and bills and everything. Can I collect on his pension?
frankiesmama frankiesmama 56-60 3 Answers May 21, 2009

Your Response


I am 84 years of age and unable to work. My husband was honorably discharged from the navy with 100% disability due to contracting TB on the USS Enterprise in World War II. His discharge clearly states PERMANENT DISABILITY. My husband died at the age of 43 of a massive heart attack. (Family history research shows no other person before or after his death who died of heart attack.) My husband had an appointment at the VA Hospital but died before he could go. I do know that experimental treatments were done by the VA on my husband and he almost died soon after his discharge. I am a widow who raised five children without their disabled veteran father and now I have been unable to find anyone who can help me get widow's benefits. My husband was drawing a disability check when he died and I did receive a little help from the VA for my children years ago. Am I eligible for help now? I know widows who married old men and then got them declared disabled for things like loss of hearing and these widows were only married a few years and drew widows pensions. One widow draws $1200 a month for assisted living and her husband was not even disabled. Can I get help?I have no Email so Email my daughter please.

Best Answer

Go to <br />
<br /><br />
<br />
According to this site, you are eligible if:<br />
<br />
The deceased veteran was discharged from service under other than dishonorable conditions, AND <br />
the deceased veteran served at least 90 days of active military service 1 day of which was during a war time period. If he or she entered active duty after September 7, 1980, generally he or she must have served at least 24 months or the full period for which called or ordered to active duty. (There are exceptions to this rule.) AND <br />
you are the surviving spouse or unmarried child of the deceased veteran, <br />
AND <br />
your countable income is below a yearly limit set by law (The yearly limit on income is set by Congress).

Best Answer

If your husband was on a pension, your entitled to a widows pension. This pays $7,933 a year. If you have $6,000 in income for Social Security, the DVA will only pay you $1,933. You can deduct all your non-reimbursable medical expenses (co-pays on drugs, co-pay's for insurance) if you have any. If your husband was being compensated and he died of a service connected disability, then your entitled to DIC. This pays $1,154 a month. If your husband was 100% disabled and he held this for 10 years, they your entitled to DIC at $1,400 a month. Your income has nothing to do with this. You would also get Ch 35 educational benefits and CHAMPVA. This costs $50 a year. These benefits you can get only if your husband was 100% disabled. If he had a pension and you were seperated, I would suggest when you file your 21-534, you state you had a geographical seperation. His sexual activities with another person you do not need to mention, unless you wish to cut yourself out of any benefits. You should go to your state department of Veteran Affairs/Services. You can call 1-800-827-1000 and the DVA can direct you to the closest office in your state.

Best Answer

Related Questions