I was at Lackland in '85. Basic has changed quite a bit since I was there, I hear. It's longer now for one. However, I'm certain that mail call still remains one of the most important moments in a new Airman's day. Write him, if not every day, at least every other day. As Elsadoll says, the first week is the roughest. After that it's pretty routine. But, yeah. Mail is important. Just a, "Hey, honey. I miss you. Here's what I did today..." letter will lift his spirits most certainly. We all wanted a little touch of home. I was there when the leaves turned back home and my mother sent me some red maple leaves. It was so amazing what those leaves did for me. Stuff like that. Best of luck to him, and to you.

Best Answer

Definitely letters. Just tell him what's going on back home and give him a little encouragement. His fellow airmen will have his back down there too. He won't be alone. But, when I went, it was nice to hear about what was happening at home. Even just little things that you might think are insignificant. Tell him about some good or not so good thing that happened at work or home. If you're in school, tell him what's going on there. Tell him just what you're doing throughout the day....if you went shopping, read a book, took a bubble bath......anything. It really helps because it gives him some time away from everything where he can just think about home and regular day-to-day life. =)

Best Answer

"So long, suckah!"

Best Answer

See the Alamo and the Hemisfair Tower. The zoo is cool too.

Best Answer