People still do potlucks, but I've never heard of anyone doing things like proper picnics, debutant balls or inviting friends over for afternoon tea with tiny cakes and fingerfoods...or maybe that's just me? Anyway, I miss that.
MissusBrightside MissusBrightside 31-35 13 Answers Feb 6, 2013 in Community

Barn Raisings.

Best Answer

Leaving the television off and having real conversations would be nice.

Best Answer

That one most of all, amen!

Best Answer

No one has barn party's anymore! Big bonfire a bunch of people playing music. Dancing, Drinking beer and having a Great Night! Or movies on the barn wall ! When I was young Everybody had fun. We still are doing that but we are the only ones.

Best Answer

Thats also good too. My family and I did the bonfire and drinking beer, soda on holidays. Not anymore after my gran passed..no reason to anymore :(

Best Answer

It's a great way to get family & friends together. Everyone has fun & no body gets in trouble. Kids are not getting into the problems of the streets.

Best Answer

I agree

Best Answer

"Use the telephone for speaking!"

Best Answer

Tea parties, quilting bees, and sitting outside on your steps with your neighbors.

Also, I remember as a kid, my parents had neighborhood potlucks. Dad would set up a huge wooden table in our front yard, Mom would throw a pretty tablecloth over it, and all the neighbors would bring a dish. My dad made wine and would serve that. We did that every weekend. It was nice.

Best Answer

That's exactly what I mean, good one!

Best Answer

We don't talk and listen any more. We move our lips, and nod our heads, but no one really listens any more. Just sayin' :o(

Best Answer

Thats probably whats lost to us the most. The irony is, were all online coming together lol

Best Answer

But are we really talking?
Sorry, I didn't mean to get all deep, and heavy on this question. I usually comment with the humour many questions deserve. But your question made me think :o)

Best Answer

Too true, but we are communicating. I'm glad I've made someone think on this lol

Best Answer

Mission accomplished! ;o)

Best Answer

There is a dance organization here that holds dances once a week in a big ballroom, and the women are supposed to sit in chairs and wait till a guy comes over and asks you to dance lol like they used to do back in the day. It's kind of cool but just so foreign to me... I felt a little weird when I went.

Best Answer

I'd probably feel out of place at first, but that sounds so interesting.

Best Answer

I agree. Sounds cool. Back to real values. Doh! There I go again! ;o)

Best Answer

Tupperware party!

Best Answer

Lol, my mom used to do those!

Best Answer

The ability for kids to play outside safely

Best Answer

Very much so, absolutely.

Best Answer

People dont do dancing any more unless its going to the clubs

Best Answer

I hear you.

Best Answer