The pro is that it saves you money. <br />
The con is that you don't have your personal space, and if you have different preferences it can lead to some conflict (ex: neat freak roommate paired with a messy roommate).<br />
A lot of people will disagree with me, but I think it is better not to seek friendship in roommates until you no longer have to share a room. Be courteous and friendly, but don't try to be best friends. I found it harder to have boundaries, 'peace and quiet' and time alone when I was friends with my roommates. That room will be the only place you can unwind and clear your head. I had a roommate meet me at the door almost every day and go on for 4 hours about ex-bf problems. I really value her as a friend, and still do, but sometimes you have your own problems and just want to go home and crash.<br />
Also, I try not to bother roommates unless something is life-threatening. Ex: If someone doesn't do their dishes, I won't say anything even if it bothers me. Especially with girls, they can get over-sensitive, and when drama hits, it's hard to shake off. Guys are more casual about these things, but girls can take them personally. That has been my experience.

Best Answer

Thanks for the honest answer and for the advice. I thought trying to be friends with roommates would make things easier, but I'm glad you helped me see it in a different way. I'm not really going there to make friends anyway... I'm the studious and solitary type.

Best Answer

Thank you. This was just my experience, and different things work for different people. I hope you will be able to strike a balance between your wellbeing and forming a friendship. Good luck with the transition.

Best Answer

It totally sucks. I dealt with it for one semester, then I moved in with my girlfriend (yes we were gay) for the rest of the four years.

Best Answer