AliceThroughTheLookingGlass AliceThroughTheLookingGlass 31-35, F 11 Answers Jul 24, 2012

Some 33 countries have outlawed the practice including Sweden where it was decided by popular vote in a public referendum. Millions of people and the latest scientific evidence that it is unhealthy for children are good enough for me. The Bible says it's OK to beat your slaves too as long as you don't kill them, but we outlawed that as well as being able to beat your wife with a stick no larger in diameter than your thumb (ie- rule of thumb). I see no reason to stop the trend now when defenseless children are involved.

Best Answer

agreed.

Best Answer

a parent should have the rights to disipline as they see fit..a smack is not a beating.

Best Answer

I think that we should focus on spanking adults. They are the ones who keep fudging things up.

Best Answer

do you mean whine about everything, just because their subconsciously jealous of the fact that this generation, has more freedom than they did back then, and they feel that this isn't fair? I totally agree. Adults need a good one.

Best Answer

we didn't and our kids turned out fine.

Best Answer

I had no doubts about it. Children can be raise without spankings very well. If we can't find the ways to raise them without yelling and hitting. Then certainly, we need therapy.

Best Answer

This is such a touchy subject, some people are very passionate about it one way or the other. I live in the US, many cultures and beliefs are present in "American" culture. My parents were raised in households where beatings were the norm. My brother and I had a few spankings growing up, but for the most part my parents did not spank us. I would cry just at the thought and my brother thought it was funny. Spankings just didn't work with my kids.

Best Answer

a big NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Best Answer

As a teacher I have often wished we had as a choice on the comments: "Child is in desperate need of corporal punishment."

Best Answer

if they are in desperate need of it, and they have expressed that to you, with their mouth. Then I don't see why it's bad. Consenting spankings are fine to me, if they help you. But not because someone thinks you need it. I mean, what if I tell you to go jump in the lake, will you?

Best Answer

Oh boy this is a hard one, and this comes from a person who got spanked so much a wooden spoon was broken on his posterior. Often times it is the lesser of two evils, as some kids (I was one) do not naturally respect authority and so the corporal punishment was the next-best solution was used--to make me FEAR authority since fear of pain is something even the simplest/youngest person can understand.<br />
I do think corporal punishment is the easy way out with regards to discipline. It is much more difficult to get your kid to respect you in the absence of it. But corporal punishment leaves scars and it sets someone up for a life of resenting--but fearing--authority. It also often makes one believe God to be punitive (though corporal punishment and fundamentalism go hand-in-hand so is no way to tell which is feeding which).

Best Answer

It's really easy to use way more force than you think, it's really easy to just smack a kid because you yourself are losing your temper, it's really easy to not apply consistently.<br />
It's ONLY ok if you can apply it in a very consistent and calm manner, and discuss with the child why what they did was wrong and why they need to have consequences. Just like any other form of punishment.<br />
My parents beat me up. My partner and I are discussing maybe having a kid, if we do I do not want to ever cross that line and strike that child. I will find other ways to impress on them the error of their ways.

Best Answer

spare the rod spoil the child

Best Answer