After this last earthquake right under MY FEET here in Southern Maine, it REALLY MAKES me wonder...
PrincessMaine PrincessMaine 46-50, F 19 Answers Oct 17, 2012 in Religion

I am waiting for January too get really good deals on things that people panicked on buying

Best Answer

Brilliant thinking. I believe that i will do the same!

Best Answer

I agree! PANIC!

Best Answer

I found this to be interesting:<br />
A newly discovered Mayan text reveals the "end date" for the Mayan calendar, becoming only the second known document to do so. But unlike some modern people, ancient Maya did not expect the world to end on that date, researchers said.<br />
"This text talks about ancient political history rather than prophecy," Marcello Canuto, the director of Tulane University Middle America Research Institute, said in a statement. "This new evidence suggests that the 13 bak'tun date was an important calendrical event that would have been celebrated by the ancient Maya; however, they make no apocalyptic prophecies whatsoever regarding the date."<br />
The Mayan Long Count calendar is divided into bak'tuns, or 144,000-day cycles that begin at the Maya creation date. The winter solstice of 2012 (Dec. 21) is the last day of the 13th bak'tun, marking what the Maya people would have seen as a full cycle of creation.<br />
New Age believers and doomsday types have attributed great meaning to the Dec. 21, 2012 date, with some predicting an apocalypse and others some sort of profound global spiritual event. But only one archaeological reference to the 2012 date had ever been found, as an insc<x>ription on a monument dating back to around A.D. 669 in Tortuguero, Mexico. [End of the World? Top Doomsday Fears]<br />
Now, researchers exploring the Mayan ruins of La Corona in Guatemala have unearthed a second reference. On a stairway block carved with hieroglyphs, archaeologists found a commemoration of a visit by Yuknoom Yich'aak K'ahk' of Calakmul, the most powerful Mayan ruler in his day. The king, also known as Jaguar Paw, suffered a terrible defeat in battle by the Kingdom of Tikal in 695.<br />
Historians have long assumed that Jaguar Paw died or was captured in this battle. But the carvings proved them wrong. In fact, the king visited La Corona in A.D. 696, probably trying to shore up loyalty among his subjects in the wake of his defeat four years earlier. [See images of the carvings]<br />
As part of this publicity tour, the king was calling himself the "13 k'atun lord," the carvings reveal. K'atuns are another unit of the Maya calendar, corresponding to 7,200 days or nearly 20 years. Jaguar Paw had presided over the ending of the 13th of these k'atuns in A.D. 692.<br />
That's where the 2012 calendar end date comes in. In an effort to tie himself and his reign to the future, the king linked his reign with another 13th cycle — the 13th bak'tun of Dec. 21, 2012.<br />
"What this text shows us is that in times of crisis, the ancient Maya used their calendar to promote continuity and stability rather than predict apocalypse," Canuto said.<br />
La Corona was the site of much looting and has only been explored by modern archaeologists for about 15 years. Canuto and his dig co-director Tomas Barrientos Q. of the Universidad del Valle de Guatemala announced the discovery of the new calendar text Thursday (June 28) at the National Palace in Guatemala.<br />
The rese

Best Answer

UNBELIEVABLE!

Best Answer

My thoughts are that it's just a calendar that was significant to the Mayans, but as to the prophecy that it marks the end of the world, I don't put much credence to that.

Best Answer

it's a joke, simply joke.

Best Answer

They stopped the calendar because they ran out of room for more. poor planning

Best Answer

If you look at human history it is full of predictions about the end of days. Countless end dates have come and gone. To give the Mayan calendar any preference over all the others past and present predictions is illogical. <br />
The odds and history suggest the sun will rise and then it will set with no more or less of a chance for a worldwide disaster than exist every other day of the year.

Best Answer

It's myth......the Mayan calendar didn't (and couldn't) account for the fact that "leap years" were established years later, so the number of days shown to 12/21/2012 on the Mayan calendar has already been reached as of last year.

Best Answer

ANOTHER great answer!

Best Answer

I'll let you know in January

Best Answer

You made me CHUCKLE!

Best Answer

holy carp! I totally almost forgot I'm supposed to be living as if it's the end of the world! paaaaarty!!!

Best Answer

Yup..let's party til it's like 1999!

Best Answer

Garbage, forget about it. And I don't care if the world ends, at least now I'll get to take everyone down with me.

Best Answer

Haha, that's what my counselor told me once! Brilliant!

Best Answer

Really? Cool!

Best Answer

Check out 12: A Novel About the End of the Mayan Calendar - it's all about the position of the Earth in the solar system - when the celestial and temporal planes are the closest. That's when the ancient spirits will return to the Earth to fight for the next age of Earth. Will it be one of Water or Fire? Right now it seems as if Fire is winning - what with global warming, but check out that monster hurricane/super storm about ready to hit the East Coast of the USA. What if on 12-21-12 that was happening all over the world? It wouldn't be long before modern civilization was destroyed and a new and final age of Water would begin.

Best Answer

All it means is their calendar stopped. It's like when you buy a diary and it stops at December 31st. It doesn't mean the world will end then, just that you need to go out and buy a new one.

Best Answer

No man knows the day or hour but god

Best Answer

no man knows the end, only God knows...

Best Answer

From what I understand the calendar in question is only one of several the Mayans used and it does not signify the end of the world, only the time to reset the calendar and start counting days again in the next cycle--a bit like New Year's Day

Best Answer