Does telling them take away the magic from their childhood or prevent them from future disappointment ?
zbignue zbignue 70+, M 20 Answers Aug 16, 2012 in Hobbies

I say let them have their imaginary characters, life will disappoint them soon enough.

Best Answer

I don't think the point of Santa etc. is lying to kids.

It's fairy stories. And they get to a certain age and grow out of fairy stories. This is fine.

I do think the idea that telling kids Santa isn't real is really horrible is a bit silly. Okay, if they're four years old and they're really excited that they just gave Santa a letter explaining in great detail the sort of puppy they want, it's mean to say "you know that's actually Mr Bun the Baker in a fake beard with a pillow up his shirt?" Because little kids haven't learnt about how to tell what's real yet, and being disparaging about it will damage them. It's like mocking a six-month-old for not being able to catch.

But I don't remember finding out about Santa. I remember believing, and I remember knowing that the guy in the red suit on Santa's sledge at the school fete was my own dad. I manage to remember knowing Santa wasn't real when I was under 7, and also believing Santa was real when I was 8. Most children over about 5 know, they just subconsciously suspend disbelief for the fun of the thing. The excitement is greater than the knowledge that Santa and Mummy use the same wrapping paper and have suspiciously similar handwriting.

It's a game. We know it, kids know it, and it's not the big deal people make it out to be.

Best Answer

No it let's them use their imagination, which leads to creativity. It's a whole hell of a lot better and harmless then the rest of the BS parents feed them

Best Answer

kid's have that all figured out through their environment..school, siblngs, tv ..by 5 yrs old they know where that stuff comes from. It's in the stores .I let them coast through all that at their own pace. Shattering a little kids belief is unnecessary.

Best Answer

I think I have more important things going on than having to burst my little one's bubble. They'll figure it out for themselves soon enough.

Best Answer

Dont tell them let the childs imaginations run away with them, ecourage it, ecourage there dreams. encourage their minds. It in my opinoin lets them explore who they are. Some kids think at an early age that there is no Father Chistmas, but if they can keep their new found understanding from thier siblings, then it teaches them disapline, not just disapline but an understanding that people are at differant levels, it teaches them empathy, and if they have empathy, it shows that they can care and boy do we need more people who care :-)

Best Answer

Noooo!! say it isn't so, where are my letters going then?

Let them be children, let them believe it's harmless, in fact I would go so far as to say it is healthy

P.S. Just in case I will leave out some cookies and milk and leave the porch light on

Best Answer

you mean Santa does not exist! *pout;tears in my eyes*

Best Answer

Sorry if I spoiled this for you.

Best Answer

it is okay I have doubting them for quiet the time now; ever since I saw my dad put money under my pillow .....I just refused to admit it ;)

Best Answer

who says they are imaginary?

Best Answer

It's all a matter of choice. Letting children believe that imaginary characters like Santa Claus exist adds an element of magic and mystery to the already-exciting holidays. It just makes it that much more enjoyable for them. Once they mature and become more rational, they will decide on their own that these things do not exist. Until then, why spoil the fun?

Best Answer

I think it takes the magic from their childhood. Most of us have been told these stories and have turned out alright.

Best Answer

wasn't that the point of Miracle on 34th Street?

Best Answer