I live in Ga. and I'm with State Farm. My original bill started out as 50.67 then months later it went up to 65.86..and now its 80.98. The 80.98 came up because the family discount quote was dropped when I moved out into my own place. :\ Sucks. But I think its unfortunate that they cannot give you a heads up on the rate changes..you just get the bill and hope you can afford it.
choxie22 choxie22 22-25, F 2 Answers Aug 20 in Community

that's an almost 40% hike. Did you move to our own policy when you moved out though? Why did the family discount get dropped?

Best Answer

I know and no I did not. I lived with my grandmother and she claimed me on her insurance so my payments would be affordable. I've been living in my own home for about 4 months now. The family discount quote got dropped on August 6th. The lady at state farm told me it got dropped because I moved out, meaning I'm not living with my family, I'm considered single now.

Best Answer

how did they know you moved out though? Did you have them change the billing for you?

Best Answer

When I moved out I waited a few months before changing my address, I had so much to change so I would go online and check my auto bill so I wouldn't forget ya know. I I called about 2 weeks ago to change my address so I could have my mail sent to my place.

Plus my grandmother was getting annoyed with my mail getting sent there, she wouldn't even tell me if I received mail.*long story* but that's how they got my new address, I called and changed it.

Best Answer

Ah.... well crap then.... Yes, insurance suck and they DON'T communicate rate hikes. I usually call mine pretty regular and give them a piece of my mind. I will also start shopping around and get a cheaper quote/rate and sometimes change. But the down side to that is all of insurance companies are the same. They make it attrative at first to win your business then usually after 2 years that's when they begin the increases to you. I've found this with EVERY one of them

Best Answer

My bf told me I should be more um..mean with them but I don't think its necessary for all that. But I am looking for a different insurance company. Progressive seems decent. I got a quote from them and they have where you can make a payment every 6 months, rather than every month.

I would prefer paying 200 and something every 6 months than one payment a month. Its aggravating to know that eventually we all get bamboozald at some point. But you gotta have it in order to drive :\

Best Answer

just be careful with the Geico's, Progressive, and the like compared to your well known State Farm, Farmers, Allstate.. although price is always a factor, you really have to look at the true coverages.

Best Answer

Most of the state farm mail was crooked

Best Answer

I heard that before but last year I bought my own car with cash and I needed insurance before I could drive and so I was living with my grandmother and I asked her if I could get on her insurance and she said yea. Then she mentioned that the more people you claim, the cheaper it is for everyone...*ptshh*

Best Answer

On top of that, when they send my bill every month, its always the incorrect bill. I have to call them every month to ask "why did my payment go up?" They would say "oh I'm sorry, our system must be acting up but your bill is ..such and such."

Best Answer